March 28, 2024, 10:21:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Weird Question? Mac OSX users *delete me*  (Read 7945 times)

outty

Weird Question? Mac OSX users *delete me*
« on: February 01, 2006, 11:09:25 AM »
Hi,  for my first post this is kind of a weird question but relevent.  I am thinking of getting a laptop computer but I want to get the new MacBook Pro.  I am currently undergrading in pharma chem and I was wondering if there are any chemists that use an apple regularly for chemistry related work?  I know there is a multitude of programs for the windows OS but not quite sure for mac.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

-Kyle

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re:Weird Question? Mac OSX users *delete me*
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 08:23:13 PM »
Just so you know although I'm a windows user there are programs that will emulate a windows environment to allow you to run windows programs on a mac. I'm sorry I can't provide with names off the top of my head but google Windows Emulators. That way you can purchase the Mac if you you really like it and still run Windows programs.

Also from my expierences Macs play well with Windows but Windows doesn't play well with Mac. This is just from playing around on my home network though.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 08:31:28 PM »
the new macOS is a debian clone.. LOL..

if u intend to run math-intensive software on a windows emulater, forget it.

f u intend to get an intel duo core laptop, mac pro isn't the one laptop with this configuration. try the new HP DV1000

:D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 08:32:56 PM by geodome »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

outty

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 10:18:54 AM »
Yah I dont intend on running the emulation.  Thanks for the info, i'll check out the HP, but I really like the mac's size and 'sleekness' not to mention its stable OS and a whole bunch of features that are kinda cool.  Size is a big thing for me i think.

just curious111

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 12:04:39 AM »
you do not need windows for science related software. Apple has many applications in the fields of chemistry,physics genetics etc however many of them are expensive abeit high quality. I would recommend you use a macbook pro if it's mainly for work because there are only a handful of malicious
softwares capable of harming the os and it and the interface is much easier to use then windows (files are easier to access,configuration is easier etc).However if it is mainly for private use like surfing the internet or email i would go with a cheaper windows system since there are  few software that  are
not windows compatable. Also here is a link to a page showing some of apples scientific apps                

http://www.apple.com/science/software/

hope this helps.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: Weird Question? Mac OSX users *delete me*
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 08:34:49 PM »
Good news.. You can run Windows XP Pro on your Macbook Pro  (MBP) laptop.

After installing Boot Camp (download from Apple website), you can create a hard disk partition to install windows. Then you can configure your MBP to boot OS X or Mac OS X by default.

LOL. The reason why Intel Duo Core can run Win XP and OS X is because Intel Duo Core uses the EFI architecture. EFI architecture has been long used by Macs for a very long time. The original PC architecture is not as extensive and scalable as the EFI to support duo core and 64 bit technology.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links