Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Oil transport  (Read 2481 times)

Offline Isaac7w

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Oil transport
« on: February 07, 2018, 05:17:15 PM »
Hello guys,

I need to design a platform in which extracted oil goes through some processes and at the end pumped to shuttle tankers (ships) and transported to refineries. The temperature of oil at each stage should be known to calculate energy balance. But I cannot find at which temperature oil should be taken to those shuttle tankers before transporting it to anywhere. Oil has hexane inside and (normal) boiling point of it is 69 C, so I know it should not exceed 69 C, however I dont have any minimum value. I read something about evaporation loss happens during storage, but this was not once again enough to determine value. What do you think? What other factors should I consider to get at least some temperature interval, or is there any normal value for temperature of transported oil.

Thanks in advance

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Oil transport
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 05:51:46 PM »
No idea about details, but you definitely don't want it too cold, as if it gets too viscous it will be hard to pump. So yes, I would expect some optimal range to exist.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Oil transport
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 01:51:34 PM »
The normal boiling point of hexane is no hard limit. If oil contains 1% hexane, at +69°C the vapour pressure is about 1% of 1atm, so it doesn't boil. On the other hand, liquids evaporate already below their normal boiling point, just without boiling. Water dries off at room temperature too. And propane is stored liquid at room temperature, well above its normal boiling point, just under pressure.

What does the doc of the tankers say? I wouldn't be surprised if they limit the temperature range, for instance to avoid stresses due to thermal expansion.

Sponsored Links