March 28, 2024, 04:19:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Plant Oil Separation  (Read 3898 times)

Offline Kristi

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Plant Oil Separation
« on: March 11, 2018, 06:43:04 AM »
Hello Everyone! I’m new. This is my first post. :)

I am attempting to separate as much plant material from oil that has been solvent extracted.  I tried straining it through .22 micron filter, after various coffee filters. =) The micron filter helped, but it’s not nearly enough. I was wondering if anyone has tried centrifuge on plant oil or knows if it would work, before I purchase one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! If someone knows how to extract plant material from the solvent oil, I am willing to learn and experiment. 

Offline Kristi

Re: Plant Oil Separation
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 03:27:28 AM »
76 views and no replies? I'm crying inside!!!  ;)  :)  I'm tempted to attach a syringe of oil to my car tire and go for a ride on the freeway. lol

Anyone have thoughts on Chromatography Columns for removing plant materials from solvent extracted plant oil?

I desperately need help for my health, so any help is greatly appreciated.  ;D

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 04:43:47 AM »
Anyone have thoughts on Chromatography Columns for removing plant materials from solvent extracted plant oil?

Won't work, that's not what they are designed for.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Kristi

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 05:41:15 AM »
Thank you for a reply. I was looking at silica gel, and wondered if I could filter it through the sand using some type of pressure. But if you say it's a mess waiting to happen, I'm still up for my tire centrifuge later today. lol :D I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 07:39:24 AM »
I've never heard of using a centrifuge on liquids such as plant oils, but such a thing is probably done industrially.  I have no idea what you've bought or are likely to be able to buy.

Coffee filters are notoriously poorly defined media.  I use them to make herbal tea with spices, and they still clog, even as they let fine powders thorough.  Yes, I said both.  What ends up happening is the solids eventually settle in the slowly draining filter, and that produces a clearer filtrate -- but by coincidence, not by actual effect.

Your 0.2 micron filters, are they PTFE or other non-polar membrane?  Otherwise they're just wasting your time, and getting results by the same effect as above.

What you may have is a colloidal dispersion of plant material.  And a colloid in oil may be easier to form than a colloid in water.  A filter agent, like sand may help, but you will lose oil, and waste time waiting for it to settle and drain, possible exposing your oil to air and other losses.

If you have an easy way to evaporate solvent, maybe excess solvent will make thinner solutions that are easier to filter.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Kristi

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 07:02:28 AM »
Thank you Arkcon for the lengthy response. I appreciate it.

I have never heard of anyone using centrifuge on oil either, but I’m desperate and willing. I ordered one and it should be here later today. I’ll post my results so you’ll know someone that did it. :)

My micron filters are PTFE. I got them from a diesel refinery lab. They seem to do better, but only for about 10 ML or so before pressure in the syringe forces everything through.

I normally use about a half ounce of oil to 32 ounces of solvent. It’s ok with me if I lose some of the oil in the sand filtering process. My ultimate goal is to remove as much of the plant material as possible (oil included), and just be left with active chemical compounds. In other words, I’m moderately to severely allergic to the plant material, and looking for more ways to reduce my risk of anaphylactic shock and heart palpitations. Hey, I’m a positive solution oriented person! lol  ;D

I already ordered parts to make the column with pressure. I saw “Silica gel 60-120 mesh for column chromatography.” If I find and purchase this, do you think it would work or am I looking for something else as a starting point?

Thank you again for your help, it means a lot to me! A LOT!!

And what kind of spices are you putting in tea? Chai? Chai spiced pancakes with homemade berry syrup. It’s 7am. I’m thinking breakfast thoughts. :)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 08:35:09 AM »
Hi there Kristi:, I hope you'll trouble yourself to review our Forum Rules{click}.  You already accepted the rules when you signed up for our forum, and you have to follow them, whether you agree with them or not, or even if you're unaware of them.

We don't give specific help for self-medication, so I hope you'll keep your topics and discussion more theoretical.

I hope your centrifuge works for you, but if the plant material is "fluffy", you may have to lose more product decanting.

Its goo that you have PTFE filters, but like I said, suspensions can plug any filter.

Like Borek: said, an HPLC or low pressure poured column isn't the answer to any sort of insoluble material.  They just plug even faster than a filter, and are harder to clean or even more expensive to discard.

I make chai with Asian 5 spice powder, powdered cardamon and loose black tea.  Fine spice powders do clog filters, so the last bit is very slow.  I usually drink without sugar or milk.  Its tasty, and expeditious.

Offline Kristi

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 06:52:02 AM »
I am so sorry. I did read through, and I guess my glial cells got a hold of it. :(  Please forgive me everyone! That rule is in place for a very good reason.

I did try the centrifuge experiment on oil that I already had with solvent added. It failed. I did a new extraction, and continued the experiment.

I ran it through twice. It works, but I wouldn’t call it a complete success. Forward is better than backwards.

Thank you for clarifying what Borek mentioned above. I ordered some of the parts already. Hahaha It stopped me briefly, but I wasn’t sure I could live with *what if...* Another expensive experiment mess coming up!!

I never tried Asian 5 spice in my chai spice mix. That’s interesting. Thank you! I’ll give that a try as well. Much cheaper experiment and I already have it. ;D 

TO EVERYONE ELSE
I see a lot of people reading this, and other posts with few replies. I just want to encourage everyone to join in discussions (not just here!!). Everyone truly does have something unique about themselves; different views, different life experiences, different educations.  When everyone comes together and shares, it helps everyone. Think of it like a shape, the more sides it has the more interesting and beautiful it becomes. :)

Thank you to everyone that has been posting. I’ve been enjoying reading and learning. Also hoping my glial cells don’t do a massive cleanup on me. Hehe ;D

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 09:46:23 AM »
Your centrifuge must simply not be fast enough.  Extremely fast centrifuges, run for hours, can successfully pellet micron sized cell components -- but you're not likely to ever get to use one of those.  Consider investigating if hours of spin time help you get even more solids to pellet out.

Also consider why you have to pulverize the plant material this far.  You're extracting something (theoretical!) maybe you don't need to dry and pulverize the plant material so much.  Maybe if you live the pieces larger, you extract as much and you can sieve out much of the plant material, instead of filtering.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 05:36:33 PM by Arkcon »

Sponsored Links