April 26, 2024, 07:20:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Tablature Websites Coming Under Attack  (Read 5560 times)

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Tablature Websites Coming Under Attack
« on: August 01, 2006, 11:28:14 PM »
I was thinking...

The MPA (Music Producers Association) has threatened such sites as mxtabs.com and taborama.com with legal action (and their ISPs) if they did not shut down. There premise was that the tablature on the sites was copyright infringement of the original staff notation for the music. I honestly think that's a load of bulls**t, because it's clear that it is only the tab writers interpretation of a song. Many other tablatures sites have shutdown also.

Now, why is it that something like that can happen to something so benign, yet I can google various explosives and get detailed synthesis on them. Some websites even give you places to find the ingredients.

Now tell me this is not dumb. To me, I feel it's a violation of the first and most important amendment, the right to free speech. Mxtabs and Taborama don't give away the staff notation or how a song is played exactly. It's only one persons interpretation of a song.

Also, why is it that you can get the lyrics to a song with no problem (usually) yet you can't get the actual music to the song????

Stupid corporate America, I'm also mad at the gas companies, but that's a different story...

Why must they take away something as benign as how to play song, yet leave something that could kill hundreds of people.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: Tablature Websites Coming Under Attack
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 12:49:32 PM »
Do u think MPA even has a substantial case in court? The court can reject legal actions by MPA due to unsubstantial claim.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
Re: Tablature Websites Coming Under Attack
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 03:43:20 PM »
The music industry (I know them as RIAA) doesn't care if they have a valid case.  When they accuse people of sharing music files, they keep their legal costs fairly low (economy of scale, they file mass lawsuits) and extort enough per case so they make a profit at this.  The victim, otoh, can't afford to fight the case, it is cheaper just to pay the extortion fee.  They are a bunch of jerks.

Regarding lyrics, btw, they are also working on suing anybody that posts lyrics.

And, of course, the US congress will happily pass any bill these a******s hand them, sometimes without even reading them first.

Sponsored Links