Is Love a Biochemical Phenomena?

YES
14 (63.6%)
NO
4 (18.2%)
Not Sure
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Topic: Is Love a Biochemical Phenomena?  (Read 35110 times)

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Is Love a Biochemical Phenomena?
« on: June 04, 2006, 03:47:58 AM »
It's a big question.

I am not sure how to answer, but I have a gut feeling love is a biochemical phenomena.

We know body smell has something to do with physical attraction.

We also know the brain reflects different physiological responses when a person is subjected to pictures of his loved ones, versus that of friends.

We also know that oxytoxin is registered in relatively high concentration when a person is in love.

What are your opinions?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Is Love a Biochemical Phenomena?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 03:59:41 AM »
Every aspect of life is a biochemical phenomena - even solving differential equations boils down to biochemistry in brain. I thnik that's not what you wanted to state :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 05:46:41 AM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Albert

• Lonely Wanderer
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +112/-22
  • Half Decent Pharmaceutical Chemist
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 06:53:23 AM »
Define love, please.
Otherwise, just meaning sexual attraction, my answer will be 'yes'.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 07:34:48 AM »
Define love, please.

I am refering to love to family love and love between a couple (hetero- or homo- sexual)
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Equi

• chef de cuisine
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +20/-11
  • Und nach mir die Sintflut
    • miketionary
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 07:59:03 AM »
That's all genetics - the selfish gene (sin altruism) ;D
I'm not suffering from a mental disease - I'm enjoying it.
miketionary

Offline Albert

• Lonely Wanderer
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 08:13:58 AM »
By the way, looking at the results, it looks like a comprehensive defeat for Romanticism, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 08:21:40 AM by Albert »

Offline Alberto_Kravina

• Assault Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-15
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 08:18:20 AM »
By the way, looking at the results, it looks like a comprehensive defeat for Romaniticism, doesn't it?
We're all chemists, that's the reason ;)

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 08:00:20 AM »
One of the goals of my life to build a computer that can simulate human behavior to a very good degree. I hope, in doing so, I can prove that all human behavior boils down to complex mathematical and chemical equations and thus providing a scientific proof that ideas such as romanticism, religions, and various philosophies are complete rubbish.

Offline Albert

• Lonely Wanderer
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 03:00:44 PM »
One of the goals of my life to build a computer that can simulate human behavior to a very good degree. I hope, in doing so, I can prove that all human behavior boils down to complex mathematical and chemical equations and thus providing a scientific proof that ideas such as romanticism, religions, and various philosophies are complete rubbish.

It's one of the saddest things I've ever heard in my life. None the less, I understand you.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 06:02:56 PM »
It's one of the saddest things I've ever heard in my life.

Why should it be? Nobel Laureate Professor Abdus Salam once said that science is the shared heritage of all mankind. Science will eventually eradicate all the sources of our differences and unite mankind.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 09:28:29 PM by geodome »

Offline Baseball_Fan

• Mole Snacks: +7/-30
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 06:25:21 PM »
It's one of the saddest things I've ever heard in my life.

Why should it be? Nobel Laureate Professor Abdus Salam once said that science is the shared heritage of all mankind. Science will eventually eradicate all the source ofl our differences and unite mankind.

Don't fool yourself. Science will always boil down to military power. Every advance in science has been exploited by government to advance their race, people, system, etc...

Offline Baseball_Fan

• I'm a mole!
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 06:26:59 PM »
Define love, please.

I am refering to love to family love and love between a couple (hetero- or homo- sexual)

I would not group those two together. One is normal and the other is a disease. It was only through a political process that the second was removed from the DSM as a disease (the DSM is the clinical handbook of psychological disorders).

Offline Baseball_Fan

• I'm a mole!
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 06:33:30 PM »
Every aspect of life is a biochemical phenomena - even solving differential equations boils down to biochemistry in brain. I thnik that's not what you wanted to state :)

There is the Gestalt viewpoint, that we are more than the sum of our parts.

Can a thinking person force a different arrangment of chemicals in the brain? Is thinking enough to cause an increase or decrease of neurotransmitters?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 07:30:54 PM »

No contradiction here. "Parts" are biochemistry, "more" can be classified as emergent properties. Ting is, this new quality is often treated as something that can't be explained by interactions of the parts - which is obviosuly not true, as there are no other parts and no other interactions. Complexity of the explanation may be well beyond our understanding or beyond processing power of our computers, but it doesn't mean there is no explanation.

Diffusion is a good example. Diffusion is a macroscopical scale process, described by Fick's laws that doesn't tell a thing about single particles movements, as if the diffusion was something completely new and different, independent of the particles interactions. Yet if you know how, Fick's laws can be derived from random particles movements/bouncing.

Can a thinking person force a different arrangment of chemicals in the brain? Is thinking enough to cause an increase or decrease of neurotransmitters?

Yes - when you think there are measurable chemical changes in the brain. That's how large part of neuropsychological research is done these days.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Baseball_Fan

• I'm a mole!
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 09:50:33 PM »

No contradiction here. "Parts" are biochemistry, "more" can be classified as emergent properties. Ting is, this new quality is often treated as something that can't be explained by interactions of the parts - which is obviosuly not true, as there are no other parts and no other interactions. Complexity of the explanation may be well beyond our understanding or beyond processing power of our computers, but it doesn't mean there is no explanation.

I hope we're more than skinner boxes. I'm sure one day, some scientist will break love or the sensation of love down to light particles hitting the rods and cones, which causes chemical changes in the brain which reacts to dna to produce another chemical. I know that light can make sugar when it hits chemicals in plants. 

I've read a book on superstring theory which claims we live in more dimensions than we can sense. If that is the case, then maybe science will never be able to have true explinations, but only theories. Perhaps, some of what happens occurs in ways we can't measure or percieve.

Sponsored Links