March 28, 2024, 08:18:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: combustion of glucose  (Read 21877 times)

chemchick

combustion of glucose
« on: August 30, 2004, 09:59:16 PM »
can you please help me determine the hypothetical balanced equation of the combustion of glucose (aerobic) into lactate acid.

C6H12O6 + O2 ----------> CH3CH(OH)COOH ?

Thanks

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re:combustion of glucose
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 02:03:16 AM »
In living organisms glucose is transformed into lactic acid without need of oxygen
(anaerobic process)
C6H12O6  ----------> 2CH3CH(OH)COOH

Direct chemical oxidation of glucose to lactic acid is impossible since need rearrangement of carbon-oxygen bonds. In this way only oxalic acid can be obtained.
AWK

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 08:44:22 AM »
Also, the hormone insulin plays a HUGE role in the breakdown of glucose.  I'm not 100% sure if it just helps move the glucose molecule into the cells of body, or if it plays a role in holding the glucose molecule while other reactions occur, but without it you have a problem.  (Being a diabetic, I should know.   :P)  Without insulin, the body will get its energy from another source which would be the breakdown of fats into ketones.  
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 01:33:10 AM »
can you please help me determine the hypothetical balanced equation of the combustion of glucose (aerobic) into lactate acid.

C6H12O6 + O2 ----------> CH3CH(OH)COOH ?

Thanks

Did you mean the overall equation for anaerobic respiration for the oxidation of glucose to lactic acid?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links