April 26, 2024, 03:21:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to choose an Organic PhD program  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Organic Synth

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to choose an Organic PhD program
« on: March 28, 2018, 07:56:53 PM »
I was considering posting this in the education forum, but it is specific to organic synthesis since that is the area of research I am pursuing. I've been accepted to several PhD programs and I don't know which offer to accept even after visiting the schools. I'm just looking for general opinions and ideas about how to evaluate programs from the perspective of organic chemists. Thanks.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: How to choose an Organic PhD program
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 10:06:01 PM »
Choose based on a PI over everything else. A great project with a crappy PI is miserable, but a great PI can make even mediocre science worthwhile.

Edited to remove a bad word. Oops.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 08:28:24 PM by wildfyr »

Offline zsinger7

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 06:26:36 PM »
I will 100% echo the above.  THE PI IS THE VERY MOST IMPORTANT THING IN YOUR 5 YEAR EXPERIENCE.  Choose wisely, and try to pick a PI which will allow you your own scholastic license to try new things!  Hope this helps!

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 04:13:19 AM »
I don't know what a PI is in this context, but I would say go with the project that most interests you as you will be there for a few years and you want to be doing something you want to do. Look at who you are working for also - maybe check to see if you will get along with your supervisor. Good luck and enjoy!
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 04:19:14 AM »
I don't know what a PI is in this context, but I would say go with the project that most interests you as you will be there for a few years and you want to be doing something you want to do. Look at who you are working for also - maybe check to see if you will get along with your supervisor. Good luck and enjoy!

PI = principal investigator ie. thats your boss during your PhD. Choosing the right boss is way more important that having cool project. While I agree one should combine it together and get nice boss and interesting project its not always possible. Ass as your boss will make your life miserable while good guy will make those uninteresting projects make look awesome. (Ok, maybe not but having the option of taking time off, reasonable working hours and boss that is not yelling at you in front of everyone else is something important to consider)

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 05:32:43 AM »

PI = principal investigator ie. thats your boss during your PhD.

K- Thanks. First time I've heard them called that. Yea - being able to get along with them is important. I chose my project because I went to see several of the lecturers in charge and got them to talk more about the advertised projects. I applied to the one I did because I liked the talk the lecturer gave, he was enthusiastic, it made sense to me, he lit a fire in me too for the research he was doing. I could have gone with 'easier' supervisors to work for, lol....  but he was good and knowledgeable and I liked and understood his project.

Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 06:27:44 AM »
DId you ask him about what working hours he is expecting from you?

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 01:25:22 AM »
Work for someone old because they can hook you up with a word of mouth job easier.

Sponsored Links