April 24, 2024, 11:52:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Production and measurement of a saturated solution of H2S (4L)  (Read 2567 times)

Offline Grip1993

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I am involved in a research project on corrosion analysis of mild steel samples under constant stress. (sulfide stress corrosion)

For this, I have to prepare a saturated aqueous solution of H2S and allow it to corrode the stressed steel samples for about 30 days. I have to measure the concentration of H2S daily so as to ensure the saturated condition remains true for the entire period. The corrosion will produce FeS and will result in lowering of the H2S concentration as well as the possible leakages from the container. To counteract this I hope to bubble fresh H2S once every few days and constantly measure the pH levels.

I have these problems.

1. What are the ways I could use to measure the concentration of H2S in the solution? I am currently aware of the back titration method only. I prefer automatic/electronic methods as the number of tests to be carried out is high.

2. What is the best way to prepare a saturated solution of H2S? I am hoping to bubble the H2S produced by Kipps apparatus through de-ionized water. I am not sure how effective this procedure would be. Is there any other sure-fire method to do the same? The quantity of solution needed is about 5L.

3. Any other suggestions/possible issues I might have overlooked?

Thank you very much for suggestions.This is my first post in this forum.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Production and measurement of a saturated solution of H2S (4L)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 11:18:11 AM »
Do you have to use H2S or can you start with a different sulfide source, like Na2S?
If you have access to one, you can easily measure the sulfide concentration in your solution by ICP-OES or ICP-MS. We do this routinely.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 02:10:42 PM »
https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/hydrogensulfide/hazards.html
H2S is very toxic.  If there were some way to avoid its use, that would be a good thing.

Offline Grip1993

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 11:52:32 AM »
Do you have to use H2S or can you start with a different sulfide source, like Na2S?
If you have access to one, you can easily measure the sulfide concentration in your solution by ICP-OES or ICP-MS. We do this routinely.

Yes. We have to use H2S, as the intention of the project is to identify the rates of sour corrosion in steel under stress. We don't have the above instrument but I think we have UV and IR spectrometers.

Offline Grip1993

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 11:53:29 AM »
https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/hydrogensulfide/hazards.html
H2S is very toxic.  If there were some way to avoid its use, that would be a good thing.

You cannot stress this enough! Unfortunately, there is no alternative,

Sponsored Links