March 28, 2024, 09:43:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: MFFT and Tg  (Read 9514 times)

Offline Karkzu

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2
MFFT and Tg
« on: April 07, 2018, 10:56:16 AM »
Hi all,

What is difference between Minimum film forming temprature and glass transition temprature (Tg).

İf you answer my question I would be glad

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: MFFT and Tg
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 11:42:00 AM »
Greetings, Karkzu:, You've been here a while, and I'd like to welcome you and everyone new to the Chemical Forums,  but I want to ask you to review our Forum Rules{click}.  You already accepted the rules when you signed up for our forum, and you have to follow them, whether you agree with them or not, or even if you're unaware of them.

We don't dump complete answers on this forum, we like to help you learn to help yourself.  Let's get started.

Hi all,

What is difference between Minimum film forming temprature and glass transition temprature (Tg).

These are two different terms.  You can look up the definitions, online or in a book, and know the difference.  There's no way for us to help here -- either you read it, or we read it for you and type it.  That second way isn't something worthwhile for us to do.

If you read the definitions, what questions do you still have?  We might be able to help with where the real problem is.

İf you answer my question I would be glad
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Karkzu

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 05:39:07 AM »
You are right I'm sorry. I should have written more clearly but my english is not very well.
Anyway, I begin again

I have reserched on the internet and I learned these terms. What I want to know When I buy powder polymer for mortar, I see this terms in Tds (techinical data sheet). For ex: MFFT 0 C for polyvinyl acetat and I cant interpret in this situtation. But Tg 0 C for polyvinil Ac , Tg 25 C for Polyacyrilic acid  in this case I understand this polymer is more flexible than PAA . But I didnt understand  MFFT.

Offline Karkzu

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 09:38:06 AM »
according to the this pdf( www.european-coatings.com/content/download/61618/712441/version/.../45179.pdf)
MFFT and Tg are similar but shouldn't.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 10:21:54 AM by Karkzu »

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 04:55:30 AM »
But I didnt understand  MFFT.

MFFT  - Minimum Film Forming Temperature  -  it gives you the minimum temperature at which the polymer will form a film without help.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline Karkzu

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 10:12:02 AM »
Thank you for answer.
What I mean what is film. Is film solid layer build

Offline P

• I am what I am
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 06:46:25 AM »
What I mean what is film.

A film is just a thin layer of something.  With a paint, you have the wet film and the dry film. If the MFFT of the polymer is too low then you might not get an even well formed film as it dries. Above the MFFT it should film form more readily and easily.   I am sure there is much more to it than that, but the MFFT is a guideline for the operational temperature of the polymer and it's ability to form a film layer at lower temperatures.

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline Karkzu

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 06:59:38 AM »
"MFFT of the polymer is too low then I might not get an even well formed film as it dries."

I did not understand that. Why so? Can you explain that for me?

Also I want to ask more question. Can you explain the difference between Tg and MFFT.
For ex; will MFFT inform us about polymer flexibility?

Thank you

Offline P

• I am what I am
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 07:14:36 AM »
The polymer will be more rigid with a lower Tg. The Tg is the temp at which the polymer is flexible - below that it is stiffer and glass like   -   it is a little more complex than that, but that is about it. It is about degrees of freedom of movement of the bonds in the polymer chains.

I do not know why a low MFFT would give a poor film. I thought it was more about what the MINIMUM usable temperature was - but it is probably more complex again. Maybe it dries/film form too easily/quickly at higher temps....  sorry - I do not know, just that it gives a minimum useful operating temperature for the polymer.

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline Karkzu

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 08:33:44 AM »
Thank you so much for everything, you have been very helpful.

Sponsored Links