April 19, 2024, 10:12:10 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to calculate moles of O in CO?  (Read 4881 times)

Offline IBM

• Mole Snacks: +0/-7
How to calculate moles of O in CO?
« on: April 12, 2018, 01:16:27 PM »
If CO = 10 moles, then how to calculate the moles of O in CO molecule?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: How to calculate moles of O in CO?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 01:22:24 PM »
Try to break it apart, in you mind or on paper, and see what you get.  Try to envision CO as a pair of marbles stuck together, and envision what happens when you separate them.

I'm sorry to answer a question with another question, but that is what we do here.  We don't dump complete answers for anyone, we've detailed that in the Forum Rules{click}.  You already accepted the rules when you signed up for our forum, they apply to you and and you have to follow them, whether you agree with them or not, or even if you're unaware of them.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline IBM

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 05:12:58 AM »
If I break it, I get 1 mole of C and 1 mole of O atoms. so can I write as below
C + O2 = 10 moles
therefore, O2 = 10 moles [ If C = 0] Could you please point out where I am wrong?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 06:20:51 AM »
So, pretending, you get a pile of C's and a pile of O's.  Then you stick the O's together in pairs. How big is the pile of O's?  If you could actually hold ten CO molecules, how would it work out?

Offline IBM

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 08:25:27 PM »
Thank you very much.

Offline IBM

What is the difference between ''1 C atom and 1 mole of C atoms?''
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 08:35:10 PM »
Does 1 C atom mean 1 C atom of Avogadro's number of C atoms = 1 C atom of 6.023 X 10^23 numbers of C atoms?
Does 1 mole of C atoms mean Avogadro's number of C atoms = 6.023 X 10^23 numbers of C atoms?
I am confused. Could you clarify it, please?

Offline Kalium

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: What is the difference between ''1 C atom and 1 mole of C atoms?''
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 12:08:05 AM »
I want to help you answer this just by explaining it but I think it is against the rules .

I believe how I'm supposed to help you is by asking you questions like ,

Does avogadros number represent such a thing as 1 C atom or something else ?

To help you . It feels wrong to me In this particular case but I'm new here and I don't know anyone here that well or their mettle .

Think about the definition of avagadros number i guess is the only help I can give , good luck
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 12:19:34 AM by Kalium »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 03:24:58 AM »
Does 1 C atom mean 1 C atom of Avogadro's number of C atoms = 1 C atom of 6.023 X 10^23 numbers of C atoms?

No. One atom is just a single object, a bit like a tiny Lego brick that can be used with others to build something (a molecule). "Atom" comes from a Greek word "atomos", which means "indivisible". You can easily split the mole into smaller parts, you can't easily split an atom (well, these days we know that's not entirely true, but I feel this "indivisibility" part is what can help you with the confusion).

Does 1 mole of C atoms mean Avogadro's number of C atoms = 6.023 X 10^23 numbers of C atoms?

Yes.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline IBM

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 05:27:29 AM »

No. One atom is just a single object, a bit like a tiny Lego brick that can be used with others to build something (a molecule). "Atom" comes from a Greek word "atomos", which means "indivisible". You can easily split the mole into smaller parts, you can't easily split an atom (well, these days we know that's not entirely true, but I feel this "indivisibility" part is what can help you with the confusion).

Do you mean to say 'one single C atom out of 6.023 x 10^23 C atoms If I break 1 mole of C atoms and If I add single C atom one by one to 6.023 X 10^23 then I get 1 mole of C, which is called a molecule of C?'
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 05:47:01 AM by Arkcon »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 05:56:44 AM »
One atom, of carbon, is the smallest unit of carbon, that still behaves like carbon.  We can just barely, by modern techniques, see one atom by itself.  However, in situations where we can see a single atom, or a few atoms, they behave as we would expect.

We have a word, in English, called a 'dozen', that's 12 of anything.  And 12 carbon atoms behave pretty much the same as 1 does.

We use a term, in chemistry, called a 'mole', and its just the name of an Avogadros's of things.  You can consider a mole of eggs(although that's way too many to have in one place at one time for real) -- a mole is no different than a dozen.

You can draw a chemical reaction:

2 C + O2  :rarrow: 2 CO

You can pretend those coefficients are atoms, or pretend they refer to a dozen.  But if you call them moles, you can use the atomic weight of carbon, and the formula weight of diatomic oxygen, to actually weigh out or otherwise measure the reactant and product quantities.

As entertaining as it is to write out the value of Avogadro's number is, its really no different than a dozen.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 06:14:54 AM »
Do you mean to say 'one single C atom out of 6.023 x 10^23 C atoms If I break 1 mole of C atoms and If I add single C atom one by one to 6.023 X 10^23 then I get 1 mole of C, which is called a molecule of C?'

Mole is not a molecule. Seems like we have to start from the very beginning.

To keep with Lego analogy: one brick is an atom. Bag with exactly 6.02×1023 of single bricks is a mole of bricks.

Several bricks sticked together form a molecule. Bag with exactly 6.02×1023 of identically sticked bricks is a mole of molecules.

As each molecule contain the same number of single bricks, one mole of molecules contains several moles of individual bricks.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline IBM

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 11:36:54 AM »

Mole is not a molecule. Seems like we have to start from the very beginning.

To keep with Lego analogy: one brick is an atom. Bag with exactly 6.02×1023 of single bricks is a mole of bricks.

Several bricks sticked together form a molecule. Bag with exactly 6.02×1023 of identically sticked bricks is a mole of molecules.

As each molecule contain the same number of single bricks, one mole of molecules contains several moles of individual bricks.
I am starting the analogy of C atom from your point of view. Please point out my mistakes where I am wrong.
If I take C12 as bricks
6.023 X 10^23 of single C atoms is a mole of C atoms.
several C atoms sticked together form a molecule of C
(My question here how many C atoms sticked together form a molecule of C?)
now 6.023 X 10^23 of C molecules form a mole of molecules.
Each C molecule contain the same number of single C atom (How many single c atom?)
one mole of C molecules contains several moles of individual atoms (how many moles of individual atoms?)
Please clear my concept above and point out where I am wrong.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 01:53:29 PM »
If I take C12 as bricks
6.023 X 10^23 of single C atoms is a mole of C atoms.

Yes.

several C atoms sticked together form a molecule of C

Not a molecule of C - if anything, it would be a molecule of Cn, where Cn is a fomrula of teh molecule.

(My question here how many C atoms sticked together form a molecule of C?)

That's where the analogy fails a bit, as there not many such molecules that can be made of just carbon. C2 was definitely observed in gaseous phase in temperatures high enough, and C3 was identified in rare, cold gases like comet tails.

Most molecules are made of several elements, and then number of combinations grows very, very fast.

now 6.023 X 10^23 of C molecules form a mole of molecules.

Yes, just remember to avoid ambiguity, it should be Cn.

Each C molecule contain the same number of single C atom (How many single c atom?)

Once you know the formula - like C2 or C3 - it is obvious how many C atoms are present in each molecule.

one mole of C molecules contains several moles of individual atoms (how many moles of individual atoms?)

Again - if we stick with known formula things should be obvious.

Offline IBM

How many C atoms or molecules are in 2C + O2 =2CO?
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 02:19:52 AM »
''2C + O2 = 2CO'' in this formula, Here '2C' means what?
1. 2 (single) atoms of C
2. 2 molecules of C
3. 2 moles of C atoms
4. 2 moles of c molecules
5. 24 gram of C atoms
6. 24 gram of C molecules
I am confused. Please help me understand this concept easily. Thanking you

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
Re: How many C atoms or molecules are in 2C + O2 =2CO?
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 02:50:40 AM »
You were told several times there is no such thing as just a "C molecule", you need to mark it with the correct formula. Ignoring what you are told you are wasting time of those that try to help you.

1. 2 (single) atoms of C
3. 2 moles of C atoms
5. 24 gram of C atoms

All of these can be correct, although not at the same time.

Sponsored Links