April 20, 2024, 02:58:45 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How could you, considering oxidation number, say this is a reduction?  (Read 1792 times)

Offline heheikkeseher

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0

I know the easiest way in organic chemistry is to just look at how many hydrogen and oxygens before/after the reaction, but i've been asked to explain how it's a reduction considering the oxidation number.

Any help is nice

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: How could you, considering oxidation number, say this is a reduction?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 11:30:09 AM »
My suggestion is that you assign the oxidation numbers of the nitrogen atom in the reactant and product; then we can discuss their values.

Offline heheikkeseher

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 06:47:48 AM »
My suggestion is that you assign the oxidation numbers of the nitrogen atom in the reactant and product; then we can discuss their values.

Would it be +4 for nitrophenol and -2 for aminiphenol right?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 10:56:29 AM »
I calculated slightly different values.  Why don't you show your calculations, and we can discuss them.  Also, how does your textbook and instructor define the terms oxidation and reduction?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 10:11:57 AM »
We can answer the question of how one uses oxidation numbers to decide whether or not a reaction is a reduction (or whether or not it is an oxidation) separately from the issue of assigning oxidation numbers in a particular reaction.  For example in photosynthesis one starts with carbon dioxide (in which each carbon has an oxidation number of +4) and converts it to a hexose (C6H12O6, in which the average oxidation number of each carbon atom is 0.  Would you say that a carbon atom is getting oxidized, reduced or neither?

Sponsored Links