April 16, 2024, 04:49:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Organic Chemistry Reactions - Resources needed!  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Axl_Adler

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Organic Chemistry Reactions - Resources needed!
« on: June 06, 2018, 12:49:36 AM »
Hello!
So just to give a little chemistry background on myself to start. Basically I literally don't have background in chemistry and it's all very new to me. I never did chemistry in high school and I'm currently doing a introduction to organic chemistry in University. I understand mostly the very basics, and a few areas in Organic Chemistry, such as IUPAC naming, arrow pushing and a few other things. However my weak point would most definitely be reactions and understanding how to approach different questions on different reactions. So basically I'm simply asking for resources that will help me understand organic chemistry reactions, Sn1 and Sn2, E1 and E2, and anything else that's important because honestly I'm pretty lost in all this. I've been told its mostly about logic and not memory, but the issue is i can't use logic without understanding. So, I've used things like Khan Academy and 'The organic Chemistry tutor' but to be honest its only helped slightly. I need something for beginners, preferably a video that can strengthen my overall understanding of reactions in organic chemistry.

Thank you!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Organic Chemistry Reactions - Resources needed!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 04:26:12 AM »
I wonder if you will not get more from a primer in general chemistry. While it will not directly address reaction mechanisms (as these are pretty specific to organic chemistry) it will give you same basic understandings of underlying phenomena (lone pairs, electron clouds, polarity and so on, my bet is your problems stem from the fact you are lost about these things). Plus, sooner or later you will need to understand the difference between reactions that are driven by thermodynamics and/or kinetics, and that's where you will get lost without any initial basic knowledge.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Marjan

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 02:50:30 PM »
So basically I'm simply asking for resources that will help me understand organic chemistry reactions, Sn1 and Sn2, E1 and E2, and anything else that's important because honestly I'm pretty lost in all this. I've been told its mostly about logic and not memory, but the issue is i can't use logic without understanding. So, I've used things like Khan Academy and 'The organic Chemistry tutor' but to be honest its only helped slightly. I need something for beginners, preferably a video that can strengthen my overall understanding of reactions in organic chemistry.

Thank you!

Look at the section good organic chemistry books, there are plenty resources and honestly, watching videos is not the best way to learn, you need to actively write down read and do problems. I am not aware of any better videos than Sals for learning the basics. Again, go find a good book. My recommendation would be along the lines of Organic Chemistry as a Second Language 1 and 2.

Cheers.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 07:34:53 AM »
This question is confusing to me.  When I completed undergraduate chemistry, I have no introduction to: naming, arrow pushing, and the like.  The definitions of SN1, SN2, E1, and E2 were taught in basic first years Organic Chemistry I courses, which the O.P. is currently taking, not in Undergraduate chemistry.  Starting with their current textbook, the O.P. should try to figure out, what they seem to be having problems with now, and ask the more definitive questions.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +320/-22
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 10:07:28 AM »
Beyond watching videos writing structures and reactions down has to have a place in one's learning strategy.  There is a connection between the hand, the eye, and the brain that cannot be made otherwise IMO.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 03:50:20 AM »
I agree with you Babcock_Hall.

Sponsored Links