March 28, 2024, 04:53:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Citric acind and things living in it  (Read 2214 times)

Offline pcm81

• Mole Snacks: +12/-3
Citric acind and things living in it
« on: June 11, 2018, 06:51:01 PM »
So, i have a 5 gal bucket with citric acid(pH=2.2) which i keep in my garage and use for rust removal. I noticed some biological matter growing in it, like fungus or similar. My question is: will this growth consume my citric? And also, what can i add to citric to stop the growth? Just trying to keep it potent for a once-in-a-blue-moon rust cleaning jobs. Next to it i have a bucket with dilute sulphuric acid, used for the same purpose and that one is very clean. But i like citric acid better than sulphuric for rust removals. When i am asking for things to add to citric to stop biological matter growing init, i mean chemicals that are safe enough that they wont be harmful to me. I treat this citric acid as the "less-haz-mat" rust removal option. Wile being much more careful with sulphuric or phosphoric acids.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Citric acind and things living in it
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 03:10:45 AM »
My question is: will this growth consume my citric?

Assuming it is biological: even if, very slowly. Low pH itself is enough to kill most of the bacteria (and other living things), some can barely survive. I wouldn't care.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links