March 29, 2024, 01:54:08 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: few newbie reflux questions  (Read 2309 times)

Offline captainC

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
few newbie reflux questions
« on: June 06, 2018, 10:49:49 PM »
Hi guys im new here and have few questions about refluxing

1)does it matter if using broscillcate or pyrex flask
2) does it matter if using a flat heating mantle or mantle where a round flask fits in?
3) if we wanted an internal tempearture of say 100c or 120c what ever, will the temp on the heat plate give us this? like 100c on hot plate = 100c internal temp? or do we use a infrared temp gun?
4) once we get an internal temp reading if the heating on the hot plate is not tampereed witj will it remain at that temperature or will it increase as refluxing is progressing? eg once we have 100c internal temp at one hour mark after 3-4 hours will internal temp be still 100c?

cheers guy help would be greatful

thank you

Offline captainC

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: few newbie reflux questions
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 04:09:19 AM »
im assuming a heating mantle that holds round bottom flask would be moe suitable than a ceremic flat bottom one?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: few newbie reflux questions
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 08:52:17 AM »
Hi there, captainC:, some of your questions show that you really don't understand the process.  We'd like to help, but we'd like to know the scope of your knowledge, so you don't hurt yourself.

Can you define reflux for us?  Can you tell us what you want to reflux, and why?  Can you tell us why you're making the choices you're making: borosilicate vs (sic)pyrex and flat vs round heating mantles, instead of having the correct equipment in stock for advanced chemistry procedures?

P.S.  kindly trouble yourself to review our Forum Rules{click}  If you want to make your own pharmaceuticals, or illegal drugs, we won't help you.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links