March 29, 2024, 04:44:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Zinc citrate dihydrate vs trihydrate  (Read 3621 times)

Offline Bubblefab

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Zinc citrate dihydrate vs trihydrate
« on: June 15, 2018, 04:51:13 AM »
Hi, wondering if someone can explain the differences between zinc citrate, zinc citrate dihydrate and zinc citrate trihydrate. Parricularly in terms of their differing solubility in water.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: Zinc citrate dihydrate vs trihydrate
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 02:14:26 PM »
They are different amounts of water already in the crystal structure. A simple google search of "hydrates" could have gotten you that answer. What exactly are you trying to learn about with respect to solubility? Each one probably has similar, but not necessarily identical solubility in water. I couldn't find the answer with a cursory search of the literature.

Offline Bubblefab

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 03:46:46 PM »
Yes sorry I have gathered that now. My situation is that I'm trying to dissolve zinc citrate in water as an additive to a cosmetic (just experimenting). I purchased zinc citrate, and it doesn't dissolve fully even at 0.1g per 100ml. I've been told it's because it's not zinc citrate trihydrate. But it seems as though the dihydrate and trihydrate should have a similar slight  solubility 2.6g in 1L? Just wondering what I'm doing wrong. And wondering what form the original "zinc citrate" is.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 03:29:43 AM »
Technically that puts you in a violation of our forum rules, as we don't help in self medication and preparation of cosmetics.

But let's stick with the chemistry. Hydrates contain - in their crystal structure - water molecules. When the hydrate is dissolved in water, these molecules combine with the solvent. Solubility is a property of a main component, in your case amount of zinc citrate that dissolves will be identical no matter what kind of the hydrate it is, but the more water in the crystal the more solid will be required. How much more? Pretty easy to calculate from molar masses and known formulas.

Assuming the number you listed (2.6 g of zinc citrate per 1L) is a correct one, 0.1 g per 100 mL should dissolve without problems (no matter which hydrate we are talking about, there is a large margin). If it doesn't dissolve it can mean it is contaminated with something insoluble.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Bubblefab

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 03:01:49 PM »
Thank you, that's explained the chemistry really well  :)

Offline meirvigi

• Very New Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 08:49:51 AM »
Dear sirs,

I would like to know what is the reason that twhen I mill (grined) Zinc citrate it tends to loose a lot of water (dehydrate). Is it becasue of shift from one hyration state dihydrate to trihydrate of the opposite

Thanks,

Meir

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 10:21:13 AM »
Hydrates will lose water over time to the atmosphere, just like a puddle of water will evaporate. If you mill zinc citrate I would guess that it increases the surface area for evaporation of the bound water because the particle size is smaller. If you are not grinding under cooling, your sample will heat, which will exacerbate this effect.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 11:57:36 PM »
How do you know it's losing water?
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links