April 23, 2024, 11:03:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Shock cooling of phosphorus?  (Read 6416 times)

Limpet Chicken

Shock cooling of phosphorus?
« on: August 31, 2004, 08:02:34 PM »
Hey up folks.

A while ago, I heard of an unusual phosphorus allotrope/vitrification, of a green crystalline character,and produced by shock supercooling of white phosphorus vapor from 1200 C down to -200 C, I really want to try this myself, as I have a big interest in phosphorus chemistry, and in particular, the allotropes, phases and vitrifications of elemental phosphorus, however, lack of high temperature equipment hampers my efforts.

I had the idea of a refractory-lined steel vessel, with some hard wearing electrodes to form a high voltage arc in an inert atmosphere, and have vapourised white P passed through the arc to achieve the nesscessary temperatures.

I am not too sure of how to pass the resulting insanely hot phosphorus vapour into a cooling tank, as the vessel needs to be in an inert atmosphere inside, I don't even know if argon would be suitable, as I wish to avoid ionization as much as I can, as for how to connect the setup to a compressor, I just do not know ???

Also, I am pretty worried about the effects of the superheated WP on the reactor itself, because I REALLY don't want to deal with phosphides AKA phosphine AKA garlic scented pyrophoric death cloud;D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2004, 08:03:29 PM by Limpet Chicken »

Sponsored Links