April 26, 2024, 06:02:35 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Will Oil-based dye stain acrylic glass?  (Read 3072 times)

Offline GreedyBusinessMan

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Will Oil-based dye stain acrylic glass?
« on: June 27, 2018, 06:36:05 PM »
Hi all,

I have obtained a UV-fluorescent dye used to detect oil leaks and put it in mineral oil. I am now about to put it together in a visual display that is contained by a sheet of acrylic glass. I'm wondering if it is possible that the dye will actually discolor the clear acrylic and if so, is there some sort of a buffer I can use to protect the acrylic?

Thanks!

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Will Oil-based dye stain acrylic glass?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 11:44:09 PM »
Whether the polymer actually scalps the dye will depend on the solubility of the dye in the polymer, its molecular weight and the temperature/time of the application. (Other things too, but those are the biggest.) Too many unknowns for us to answer.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 08:15:54 AM »
But don't let that stop you, try it and see.   It may work for a little while.  And be cool for as long as it can.  Or even afterward.

I'd bet just about any organic dye in oil solution will soon permeate poly methylmethacrylate.  Its just its nature.  Now an ionic salt in water, say copper sulfate in water, that won't permeate any plastic at all.

You can try other plastics, or glass.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 03:48:55 PM »
I can't believe I didn't consider glass itself! Glass shouldn't be stained by the dye, right?

Unfortunately, I've already purchased the acrylic sheet and removed the protective stickers (couldn't help it -- best feeling ever), so now I'm stuck with it.

I understand that I may need to just go with glass and repurpose the acrylic, but can you think of a way to buffer the acrylic? Maybe some sort of oil-phobic compound (if that even exists)? It is worth noting that I plan to have water flowing up from underneath, so that might mean I'm chasing a unicorn here.

Thanks Everyone -- I enjoy all of your thoughts and ideas!

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 05:02:48 PM »
I think I figured out the solution! I will use glass as a buffer between the dye and acrylic :)

Sponsored Links