March 28, 2024, 04:57:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Producing a salt with another salt and acid.  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Norton

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Producing a salt with another salt and acid.
« on: July 29, 2019, 12:35:27 PM »
How can I make magnesium citrate(C6H6MgO7) with just magnesium chloride(MgCl2), some lemons and oranges and the things that everybody has in their house? Well, the problem is pretty much it, but the history is that my father's doctor recommended him to change his supplement from magnesium chloride(MgCl2)to magnesium citrate(C6H6MgO7), for whatever reason. So, my father got pissed because he just bought 2 liters of magnesium chloride and now he not only has to buy magnesium citrate, but also has to sell magnesium chloride. So I remembered my chemistry classes about Arrhenius's theory in acids-bases and thought: well, we have MgCl2, so we can ionize it, and do the same with citric acid. Then, we will have citrate and Mg+2, so we just mix them and boom, magnesium citrate. That was simpler in my mind at the time. So I asked my dad: "Why don't we produce the magnesium citrate with the magnesium chloride that we already have?"
Everybody taught that was a good idea at the time, but then when I arrived home I realized that I don't have idea of how I am going to ionize the salt or the acid and, after that, how am I going to filter only the ions needed to make magnesium citrate. And, after all this, how can I be sure that this is safe to drink? I mean, I know that we can ingest magnesium citrate, but what if I do some s#*$ in the way? Hope you guys can help me with that.

P.S.: Please, forgive me for my grammatical mistakes, I'm from Brazil and a considerable portion of this came from Google Translate.

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Producing a salt with another salt and acid.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 12:50:10 PM »
You can convert it.

Add to the magnesium chloride sodium carbonate. You will get a precipitate of magnesium carbonate, sodium chloride will be in solution.

Filter and wash the sludge to get rid of the sodium chloride and then you treat the sludge with lemon or you use citric acid and voala you get the magensesium citrate.

It is safe to drink. It depends  how clean you work . How much salt will be left.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 01:02:28 PM by chenbeier »

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 12:58:34 PM »
I hope you understand, at this forum we generally do not provide advice about how to prepare supplements or drugs in your home.

Although you may get some advice, it will be very hard to know the purity of anything you isolate, so any dosage will be off. My advice: if you want to follow what the doctor says, just go buy the real stuff, which will be subjected to some kind of quality controls.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 03:51:16 PM »
Good moment to lock the topic.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links