Specialty Chemistry Forums > Chemical Education and Careers

How to prepare for industrial job as a postdoc??

(1/4) > >>

blackcat:
Hi Guys

I am an early postdoc (~9 months). My PhD is about OLED and my current project is about silicone polymers. Both of which are highly related to industry. I have three patents (all during PhD).

1. What do you think about my odds of getting a job in industry?

2. What should I do to increase my odds of getting a job in industry?

3. What kind of project should I work on to attract industry employers?

PS: I do not give up academia career path. I just wanna have a two-hand preparation

hypervalent_iodine:
Do you have any first author papers? I can't give much advice as I am only just getting to the point of applying for post docs myself, but one thing I was told by someone in industry was to make sure you have post-doc or other lab experience outside of what you did your PhD in. I am not sure hoe general that advice is to industry positions, but I am sure someone else here could comment.

wildfyr:
You'll be fine. The PhD says you can learn new skills and at synthesize complex data. Expertise in a precise field is not necessary, but helpful.

There's a million billion science skills to learn, it's shooting in the dark. Much better odds to improve ordinary ones like buffing your resume, interviewing well, networking, that crap everyone needs.

blackcat:

--- Quote from: hypervalent_iodine on July 15, 2018, 11:45:49 PM ---Do you have any first author papers? I can't give much advice as I am only just getting to the point of applying for post docs myself, but one thing I was told by someone in industry was to make sure you have post-doc or other lab experience outside of what you did your PhD in. I am not sure hoe general that advice is to industry positions, but I am sure someone else here could comment.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I have eight at the moment. If you have queries about applying postdoc, maybe I can offer you some advices.

Learning something new other than those in your PhD works for academic career path too.

Arkcon:

--- Quote from: OLED2550 on July 16, 2018, 02:05:00 AM ---Yes, I have eight at the moment. If you have queries about applying postdoc, maybe I can offer you some advices.

Learning something new other than those in your PhD works for academic career path too.

--- End quote ---

You shouldn't be worrying with 3 patents and eight papers.  Whoever you worked with on those will be glad to have you as part of their team, if only to prevent you from taking your knowledge to a competitor.

Spend your time vetting them, their projects, and their dedication to you -- how big are their projects, how secure is their direction, how big of a group are you going to be asked to manage, is their research funding secure.  The answers to these questions are all on you, now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version