March 28, 2024, 12:54:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Attempting to make replica flintlock apear to fire  (Read 6383 times)

Offline Kenichi

• Mole Snacks: +6/-2
Attempting to make replica flintlock apear to fire
« on: July 13, 2006, 10:22:31 AM »
A friend of mine and I are collaborating on making a replica flintlock pistol.  He can make the metal workings and stock, but what he needs to me to do is create a flash, smoke, and possibly a bang.  We can most certainly do without the bang, as we can add that in over the computer.  Safety is most important.  I was thinking a small charge that would ignite and push a plug containing  chalk or flour at the front would create the flash near the flashpan and the desired smoke effect. Any suggestions?
Honor is what you know of yourself. Reputation is what others think they know about you. Live by honor and let your reputation lie where it may. And outlive the bastards.

One day I will rule the world with my army of a mole of moles!

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
Re: Attempting to make replica flintlock apear to fire
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 08:21:25 PM »
Go to your local gun shop and buy some Goex Fg or FFg black powder (NOT SMOKELESS).  Use less 'F's: the more Fs, the faster burning the powder, and you don't need it.  You won't need to put in any chalk at all--just shoot the empty charge--it looks the same as if you fired a real round--it's pretty cool.  Big puff of smoke, etc.

Offline Kenichi

• Mole Snacks: +6/-2
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 11:53:17 PM »
thanks, I wasnt sure that the charge itself would create the desired effect.  I know it would create the smoke, but i wasnt sure about the "boom." figured that something had to be there to increase the pressure, to create a larger sound. 
Honor is what you know of yourself. Reputation is what others think they know about you. Live by honor and let your reputation lie where it may. And outlive the bastards.

One day I will rule the world with my army of a mole of moles!

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 06:44:41 PM »
Well, most BP weapons don't really have the 'gunshot' report that we think of today.  It's more of a 'fwump' sound, a true deflagration instead of a detonation or a propellant that undergoes a DTD.  I have seen BP rifles loaded with a triple charge of black powder and no round--they look like a flamethrower and are pretty cool.  You'll probably get a whooshing or a fwump sound with just BP.  If the sound is more what you're after, go with some FFFg or FFFFg powder--these are faster burning and will therefore give you a better deflagration sound.

Sponsored Links