• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Fuel cells
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 04:45:31 AM »
I definitely did not want to give you angst.

You didn't. I just was not able to understand what you were referring to.

I wanted to inspire some critical thinking

Perhaps my English failed me, but my questions were aiming at the same target :)

By the way, it looks like I was off by 8 feet.

I am afraid you were completely off - capillary effect work on completely different principle. You are referring to the pressure, while in the capillary veins wetting is a driving force pulling the liquid up.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 08:56:04 AM »
It would be interesting to see capillary action move water 1000 feet (or 10000). Somehow I would think that would be amazing.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 09:39:02 AM »
It would be interesting to see capillary action move water 1000 feet (or 10000). Somehow I would think that would be amazing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capillary_action

Looks like for 1000 feet (304.8 m) you will need something like 9.2*10-8 m diameter glass capillary - thin, but sounds possible (and it can probably accomodate enough water particles across so that they will still behave like water, not some quantum liquid) :)

The main problem I see is the speed at which water will travel up. It will be very slow process, with the friction all the way up slowing it more and more...
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links