April 18, 2024, 04:00:08 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to use LC-MS/MS QTrap  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Albacoide

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
How to use LC-MS/MS QTrap
« on: September 22, 2018, 10:34:05 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am a PhD student and I have to use LC-MS/MS analytical technique to determine the concentration of a micropollutant in degradation experiments.

I will be using the Sciex QTrap 5500 instrument.

I have no idea on how to use this equipment and I was left with no instructions whatsoever. I have never performed this analysis before, I only have experience with HPLC-UV.

As you can imagine, am extremely stressed about this.

Does anyone know of some material, tutorial, videos, etc. which could be helpful for a complete beginner?

Thank you in advance.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: How to use LC-MS/MS QTrap
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 11:07:58 AM »
Does the computer have a help file or instrument manual on it? Or is there a physical one with the instrument? This is a good place to start.

I found this on a quick google https://sciex.com/Documents/manuals/5500-system-user-guide-en.pdf

Offline Ploaka75

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: How to use LC-MS/MS QTrap
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 02:55:10 PM »
Dear Albacoide,

I want to try to help you:
First of all, I would like to recommend you a very useful online learning platform of the QTrap5500's manufacturer Sciex:
SCIEX Eduction / SCIEX University: https://sciex.com/education
This website requires your registration to benefit from the eLearning courses, but most content is free of charge. Initially you can learn or brush up the basics of mass spectrometry and liquid chromatography and then move on to specific training for the QTrap5500 instrument. Although that eLearning does not replace a real training together/by an instructor, it gives you a lot of valuable information that should allow you for a facilitated start in that field of analysis. I have followed these courses as well, which enabled a good brush up/repeat for me and I can say, it is worth spending a couple of hours following these eLearning courses. Please have a try!

I assume, that you have got synthetic (or purified) chemical standard for the micropollutant.
In this case, you may try to optimize the QTrap5500 for that compound by following the instructions there:
https://sciex.com.cn/Documents/Downloads/Literature/AN_TUT_D1000076695_EN.pdf
Please look up in the literature, what solvents are suitable for this compound and make sure to use volatile ionizing agents, such as formic acid, acetic acid, ammonium formate or related... depending on the chemistry of the micropollutant. Best way is to start with infusion-MS to gain first mass spectrometric experience on your compound.
Good luck and best regards,

Ploaka75

Sponsored Links