April 28, 2024, 11:33:10 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A question about Conductive polymers  (Read 1820 times)

Offline GuixRF

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
A question about Conductive polymers
« on: September 29, 2018, 09:30:24 PM »
I've been working on a personal project of mine regarding the Biology (and, as such, the Chemistry) in a show that I really like but now it seems that I've reached a major road block. To put it simply, I need to know if there is a Conductive Polymer that is somewhat soluble in water (or at least in other non-harming solvents), doesn't lose its eletrical capabilities when in contanct with oxygen and, the most important part, that is not harmeful to the human body. I've went through most articles in Wikipedia (I don't really have access to more refined references) regarding this theme and managed to somewhat cross out the Conductive Polymers that wouldn't work for this situation so I just really need help figuring out which of the remaining ones would work. Thanks.

Here is the Polymer list that I went through (the "useless" ones are crossed out): https://imgur.com/a/RSNYm6q

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: A question about Conductive polymers
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 11:31:50 AM »
Have you googled "Water soluble conducting polymers"?

Regardless of water solubility, most conducting polymers will eventually oxidize in the presence of oxygen, deteriorating their conducting performance. The rate and be slow or fast depending on the polymer and how often you have the polymer activated.

Most water soluble conducting polymers are just regular conducting polymers with water soluble side groups on them.

Harmful to the human body? Too general a question. The dose makes the poison, and it also depends on the exposure route.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 06:57:22 PM »
Would a polymer loaded with graphite powder be good enough for your application?

For instance some boxes for electronic equipment use them. They come in black or in black, are reasonably sturdy, are perfect against electrostatic discharges and provide some shielding against electromagnetic interferences.

For reasonable stability under oxygen, humidity, light
plus decent mechanical performance
plus reasonable size and price
it's nearly the only option. You may replace the graphite by metal powder or whiskers.

An other common practice is to metallize the surface of plastic parts.

Most conducting polymers are lab curiosities that exist as thin films and can survive between two glass plates for the duration of an experiment.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 09:31:52 PM »

Most conducting polymers are lab curiosities that exist as thin films and can survive between two glass plates for the duration of an experiment.

And that's why this is a multi-billion dollar question

Sponsored Links