April 20, 2024, 07:12:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Seperating MEG from MEG-Water System  (Read 35767 times)

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: Seperating MEG from MEG-Water System
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2006, 09:40:10 AM »
It isn't a chemical reaction. It is a physical process.

NaCl, being ionic, bonds with the water molecules, thus competing with ethylene glycerol (EG) for H-bonding sites for water.  Moreover, NaCl may form H bonds with EG, thus making EG less readily to form H bonds with water.

If no H bonding sites are available, then EG should seperate from the mixture.

I suggest NaCl because it is chemically inert, unless heavy metal ions are present.

You ought to experiment this in the lab before actually carrying it out even on a pilot plant scale.

Moreover, the centrifugation technique suggested by Eugenedakin must be carried out in an open flow process. It will not work in a batch configuration because EG will remix with water as soon as the centrifugal force is no longer applied.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline technologist

• Mole Snacks: +6/-4
    • Chemical Professionals
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2006, 12:16:51 AM »
Thanks Geodome

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2006, 12:09:18 AM »
Hi Geodome,

Great suggestions !!  Well done.

Sorry for the delayed response, I just arrived back in my home province from business.

Technologist, Geodome is quite right.  Ensure that you spend some time trying different methods of separation in the laboratory before designing the process.  This will help you feel comfortable with the results.

Sincerely,

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Sponsored Links