March 28, 2024, 12:23:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: GPA Rounding, Grad Schools, and Integrity  (Read 3355 times)

Offline Consequentium

• Mole Snacks: +4/-1
GPA Rounding, Grad Schools, and Integrity
« on: October 04, 2018, 05:08:01 PM »
This isn't super complicated. I have a GPA of 2.997 (we'll put aside whether that's good enough to get into grad schools). Why my institution gets so specific is a mystery to me. I report it as 3.0/4.0 on my resume because I don't want to be a victim of the psychological 99ยข effect, and because it's an honest rounding when you report to one decimal place as most people appear to.

In applying to grad schools, I've circulated my resume to recommenders (who don't always request transcripts) and obviously my graduate schools are going to get my transcripts and my resume--so I don't feel like this rounding lacks integrity. They will get all of that information and then some. Still, I want to make sure I'm not losing any sleep over it. If people here think it sounds fishy then I'm sending an email to all my recommenders making sure they understand what I mean by 3.0/4.0. Otherwise I'm going to stop obsessing about it internally. But it's been bugging me because one of my recommenders told me he plans to rate me 5/5 on integrity and I don't want to make him a liar on that. I don't mind sinking or swimming on 2.997.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: GPA Rounding, Grad Schools, and Integrity
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 07:00:29 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it. Although frankly I've never seen the point of putting a GPA on a resume in the first place.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links