March 28, 2024, 11:40:06 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question regarding Ammonia  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Z500

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Question regarding Ammonia
« on: October 05, 2018, 10:05:35 PM »
Hi,

I'm having a hard time finding information on this and have searched the internet many times with no luck. I’m in a self-employment program and the path for the business I chose to start is the manufacturing of ammonia based smelling salts directed towards the fitness/sports industry (powerlifting, crossfit, etc), but in bottle form as opposed to the traditional snap open ampule type. I have done enough research to know that the ammonia gas is produced when water is added to a mixture of ammonium chloride and sodium carbonate, so basically I’m just trying to confirm if this is correct along with a few other things.
•   Is the sodium carbonate and ammonium chloride a simple 1:1 ratio? (E.g. 1 tablespoon each) Someone told me before it's not that simple, so I'm wanting to make 100% sure.
•   Are there any additional products I would need to add to it? I’ve seen the ingredients on the ampules contain 15% alcohol USP, but unsure if this would be necessary for bottle form?

Thanks kindly in advance,

Quinn

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Question regarding Ammonia
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 03:31:22 AM »
Please don't cross post.

Locked here.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links