March 28, 2024, 04:34:12 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electron and Neutrino.  (Read 9288 times)

Offline Jose M.

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
  • I'm a mole!
Electron and Neutrino.
« on: July 19, 2006, 10:31:02 PM »
 ??? ??? ???

Hi. Alpha particles are two (2) protons & two (2) neutrons, which can be said is a helium (He) nucleus. Beta particles are electrons. Gamma waves are the electro-magnetic waves 'tween X-rays & cosmic waves. Gamma waves, like all e-m waves, are composed of photons. The decay of a neutron yields a proton, electron and anti-neutrino, and this is how an electron (beta particle) is emitted from the nucleus, even though electrons dont exist in the nucleus. The decay of a proton (more rare) yields a neutron, positron and neutrino. A neutrino is just like an electron, only that the electron is negative and the neutrino neutral. A positron is just like an electron, but the electron is negative and the positron positive. There is a neutrino for the electron, one for the muon and one for the tau. The positron is antiparticle to the electron. The anti-neutrino is antiparticle to the neutrino. Now, my doubt, my question. What, exactly, is the relationship between the electron and the neutrino ? How are they related ? Wanting to know. Please tell me. Thanx.   :D 8)

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Electron and Neutrino.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 03:34:26 AM »
A neutrino is just like an electron, only that the electron is negative and the neutrino neutral.

Nope.  A neutrino has a lot less mass than an electron

What, exactly, is the relationship between the electron and the neutrino ? How are they related ? Wanting to know. Please tell me. Thanx.   :D 8)

Neutrinos actually refer to three separate kinds of neutrinos: the electron neutrino, the tau neutrino, and the muon neutrino.  In your discussion, the neutrinos and antineutrinos you are talking about are the electron neutrino and the electron antineutrino.  The electron and electron neutrino are both leptons of the same flavor (in the same way the tau and tau neutrino or the muon and muon neutrino are of the same flavor).  Because lepton number is conserved, creation of an electron requires the creation of an electron antineutrino and creation of a positron requires the creation of an electron neutrino.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 01:24:07 AM by geodome »

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re: Electron and Neutrino.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 10:21:30 PM »
These things still tend to go over my head. I don't think this is of much relevance to you Jose M., but it may be helpful in the future (or to anyone else).

Standard Model
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_model#Table
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links