March 28, 2024, 04:35:14 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Density of petrol  (Read 2578 times)

Offline TYNRTUY TUT U

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Density of petrol
« on: October 22, 2018, 01:37:58 AM »
Hello
How to find density of petrol
google say 0.77 kg/L

how to find it density , mass,volume,energy of burning

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Density of petrol
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 03:29:38 AM »
How to find density of petrol
google say 0.77 kg/L

So you already have it, where is the problem?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline TYNRTUY TUT U

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 03:39:26 AM »
Hello
How to find petrol mass energy while burning and density how it is calculated
how much heat it will it liberate smoke it give sound also 

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 10:09:37 AM »
How to find petrol mass energy while burning and density how it is calculated
how much heat it will it liberate smoke it give sound also

It is not calculated, these things are measured experimentally.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 08:30:28 AM »
Petrol (I understand: the refined fuel used in Otto engines, not the crude oil) has some variability, depending on the crude oil used, the standards of the country and producer, and more.

The heat of combustion is rather constant, because the variable constituents bring more or less the same. Only measurements are accurate, but you can compute realistic figures by assuming some mean molecule like octene C8H16 and calculating the reaction heat, from the enthalpies of formation of the hydrocarbon and the produced water and carbon dioxide. Distinguish between the lower and higher calorific power, depending on whether water is produced gaseous or liquid. Figures like 44MJ/kg are common.

Some exhaust pollutants, especially the sulphur oxides, result directly from the sulphur amount left in the fuel. The other pollutants don't and can't be predicted because they depend on the combustion conditions, especially so for soot and for nitrogen oxides.

Older Diesel with a pre-chamber made more soot, but this depended heavily on the engine good tuning, and older petrol engines with a carburettor made less. Recent common-rail Diesel make less coarse-grained soot so they can have an exhaust filter, but still produce fine soot. Recent direct injection petrol engines make more soot than the older ones, including fine soot that passes through the exhaust filter.

The fuel composition does influence soot but this is strictly experimental observation. Many people associate aromatic molecules with soot production, but experiments don't confirm that in engines. In common-rail Diesel, fuel too easy to ignite (high ketene number) tends to soot more, while some synthetic fuels don't soot at all. And in old pre-chamber Diesel, vegetable oils in the fuel reduce soot a lot, but unfortunately they destroy the recent common-rail Diesel.

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 09:54:32 AM »
You can measure the density of liquids using a density cup (they have several names).  It is a cup of exact volume. You fill it and weigh it and work out the density from mass/volume.

A calorimeter can help give you the heat released from combustion by looking at the temperature rise of a known liquid from a given mass of fuel.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

susanburling

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 10:11:11 AM »
Fill the cylinder with 100 ml of gasoline and weigh it in grams with the scale. Subtract the mass of the cylinder from the mass of the cylinder when it contains gasoline. This is the mass of the gasoline. Divide this figure by the volume, 100 ml, to get the density.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 11:28:53 AM by Borek »

Sponsored Links