April 25, 2024, 06:48:10 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help me please... why Boron Chloride is dissoluble in water!  (Read 14290 times)

Offline NaCl

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I'm a Thai Student and I'm sorry for my English.

I have just studied about The Periodic Table of the Elements. In class, the teacher taught about the properties of chloride compound (for example, NaCl, CaCl2) and she said that BCl3 is dissoluble in water. However, I find it in a book that BCl3 is nonpolar. Can anyone please explain me how it is dissoluble in water while it is nonpolar?

Thank you so much and Sorry again for my English... :)

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Help me please... why Boron Chloride is dissoluble in water!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 09:38:42 AM »
Boron trichloride reacts with water! (hydrolysis)
AWK

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 12:25:48 AM »
Boron in BCl3 is electron deficient, so BCl3 readily undergoes hydrolysis
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 02:52:27 PM »
Electron deficient by empirical forumla, but not by crystal structure.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 08:48:08 AM »
Electron defficient also in crystal structure
AWK

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 11:03:08 AM »
Can anyone please explain me how it is dissoluble in water while it is nonpolar?

A very general rule when it comes to solubility is "like dissolves like".  This means that polar solutes will dissolve in polar solvents and nonpolar solutes will dissolve in nonpolar solvents.  BCl3 is nonpolar, due to its molecular geometry.  Water is polar for the same reason, its molecular geometry.  Therefore BCl3 is not soluble in water because they have different polarities.  This is the simple explaination as to why boron trichloride won't dissolve in water. 

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 08:14:16 AM »
Can anyone please explain me how it is dissoluble in water while it is nonpolar?

A very general rule when it comes to solubility is "like dissolves like".  This means that polar solutes will dissolve in polar solvents and nonpolar solutes will dissolve in nonpolar solvents.  BCl3 is nonpolar, due to its molecular geometry.  Water is polar for the same reason, its molecular geometry.  Therefore BCl3 is not soluble in water because they have different polarities.  This is the simple explaination as to why boron trichloride won't dissolve in water. 

This general rule is not applicable to BCl3 because it reacts with water and H3BO3 + HCl is in water solution. H3BO3 in the presence of strong acid is poorly soluble. But in the hypothetical case when BCl3 will not react with water it will be soluble because of complex forming with electrons of oxygen atoms, (eq methanol or diethyl ether complexes are commercially available)..
AWK

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 09:52:50 AM »
OK, I did some further reading and yes boron trichloride is a "special case" since it does react with water, and quite violently too.  Also yes if not for the reactivity of it, it would still dissolve in water since it would form a complex with water, which changes its dipole moment and lets it dissolve in water.  Hmmm, I guess that rule does not really hold up always.  This kind of stuff interests me as an educator, exspecially since it does not seem that anyone taught me exceptions to like dissolves like and boron chemistry much. Interesting...

Sponsored Links