April 19, 2024, 02:19:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: % of Copper in Brass?  (Read 1556 times)

Offline theRealDJ

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
% of Copper in Brass?
« on: October 31, 2018, 09:40:08 PM »
I am doing this lab report, and I've hit a road block. We have to calculate the percent of copper found in our sample of brass. So here's what I did.

Our sample of brass was measured to be 1.077 grams. After doing all of the other stuff, we found that the concentration of copper in our sample came out to 0.111 M. I then followed the instructions our teacher gave us to find the percent of copper: multiply 0.111 M by 100 then divide that by 63.543 mg/mol of Cu then divide the mg of Cu by the mg of our sample of brass. After all of that, the number came out around 16ish percent, but upon looking up the average amount of copper found in brass I found out that it's suppose to be higher.... much higher. Nearly 50% of brass is suppose to be copper. So is there something I did wrong? Were the calculations wrong? Or am I correct?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: % of Copper in Brass?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 04:26:00 AM »
After doing all of the other stuff, we found that the concentration of copper in our sample came out to 0.111 M.

How you got this number? 0.111 M looks like molarity, or 0.111 mole/L concentration - how you calculated concentration of copper in the solid? Not that it is impossible, but somehow I doubt that's what you really did.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links