April 18, 2024, 08:48:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Seperating 1,4 dibromobenzene from fluorene??  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Niko

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Seperating 1,4 dibromobenzene from fluorene??
« on: November 02, 2018, 02:32:00 PM »
I have mixed .5 gr of 1,4 dibromobenzene, fluorene, and o-toluic acid. I have added sodium bicarb, extracted the aqueous layer, protonated and already extracted the o-toluic acid.

Now I have an organic layer with 1,4 dibromobemzene and fluorene. I cannot figure out how to seperate them?? Any help would be very awesome.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: Seperating 1,4 dibromobenzene from fluorene??
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 03:43:11 PM »
Either recrystallize or run a column.

Offline Niko

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 05:00:36 PM »
Recrystallize? Can you explain? We have only done recrystallazition once. I need to end up with a pure compound, which im guessing would be the fluorene because its much higher quantity than the p-dibromobenzene.   I am just confused how to recrystallized both compounds that are dissolved in the same solvent

Offline OrganicDan96

• Mole Snacks: +20/-1
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 05:27:04 PM »
Recrystallize? Can you explain? We have only done recrystallazition once. I need to end up with a pure compound, which im guessing would be the fluorene because its much higher quantity than the p-dibromobenzene.   I am just confused how to recrystallized both compounds that are dissolved in the same solvent
you would have to evaporate the solvent first to give a solid

Offline Niko

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 05:32:21 PM »
I understand how to do  that , but if I evaporate the solvent (diethyl ether)I would be left with p-dibromobenzene and fluorene as solids. Then howbwould I seperate them?

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 05:36:35 PM »
If you know the different solubilities of the compounds you can hold the solution at a temperature which is above the saturation temperature of one compound and below the other, then one will be supersaturated and crystallise out and you'll be left with a solution of the other. It may take time for this to occur. This would work unless it forms a cocrystal, which itself will have its own solubility and own difficulties in separating.

Offline Niko

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 06:35:21 PM »
Sorry for all the questions. We all just kinda got thrown into this experiment and its worth 100 points.

Ill start researching it, but if anyone can give me a solid plan on what to do that would be rad. Just need to seperate fluorene from 1,4-dibromobenzene both suspended in diethylether.

Sponsored Links