March 28, 2024, 04:11:12 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about plastic storage box (not for food)  (Read 4479 times)

Offline kenny1999

• Mole Snacks: +0/-4
Question about plastic storage box (not for food)
« on: November 03, 2018, 10:12:08 AM »
Hello

I'd like to know, I am purchasing a large amount of plastic storage box (not intended for food), made in China. What are they usually made of ?
The storage box is transparent in color. When I open them new, I smell a sudden "plastic" smell coming out. But the smell goes away quickly. Is it safe or not good?

mike5

Re: Question about plastic storage box (not for food)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 10:58:54 AM »
Hi Kenny. Generally speaking, the international packaging community has settled on 3 types of materials, namely polyethylene, Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene(ABS) and polystyrene. The fact that it is translucent indicates that it may come from the ethylene-polymer group, in which case, you could expect that your boxes would be made from low density poly ethylene (LDPE). There are quite a few ways to identify plastics
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 05:11:10 PM by Borek »

Offline kenny1999

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 11:55:17 PM »
Hi Kenny. Generally speaking, the international packaging community has settled on 3 types of materials, namely polyethylene, Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene(ABS) and polystyrene. The fact that it is translucent indicates that it may come from the ethylene-polymer group, in which case, you could expect that your boxes would be made from low density poly ethylene (LDPE). There are quite a few ways to identify plastics

Hi, from the label sticker on the box, it's made of "PP" . Wht does PP stand for? Is it a good plastic for container?

And I often see some plastic container advertised as "food grade" , is there any particular type of plastic used to make "food grade" box

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 03:35:53 AM »
Hi, from the label sticker on the box, it's made of "PP" . Wht does PP stand for? Is it a good plastic for container?

Most likely polypropylene. Check its properties in wikipedia.

And I often see some plastic container advertised as "food grade" , is there any particular type of plastic used to make "food grade" box

In general - no. Food grade means it is safe for storing food, many plastics fit (assuming they were prepared in a right way).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline kenny1999

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 07:53:41 PM »

Most likely polypropylene. Check its properties in wikipedia.

In general - no. Food grade means it is safe for storing food, many plastics fit (assuming they were prepared in a right way).

They were prepared in a right way? Sorry what does that mean?

If they were prepared in a right way, what possible things could happen? Breaking into tiny pieces more easily? How about PP ? 

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 01:48:43 PM »
Some polymers from some families are allowed to store food. For instance some PP and PETP grades may be allowed.

Then, because some poisons can be noxious in minute quantities, just telling "Polyester" or PBTP or PETP isn't accurate enough. The whole manufacturing process of these polymers AND the parts must guarantee maximum amounts for potential hazardous compounds. This includes unmoulding lubricants for instance, dyes and so on.

So from the same provider, you generally have within a polymer family some grades that are allowed for food contact and others that are not. Then the transformer, which makes a pot from the granules, must work adequately too.

Offline kenny1999

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 02:16:48 PM »
Some polymers from some families are allowed to store food. For instance some PP and PETP grades may be allowed.

Then, because some poisons can be noxious in minute quantities, just telling "Polyester" or PBTP or PETP isn't accurate enough. The whole manufacturing process of these polymers AND the parts must guarantee maximum amounts for potential hazardous compounds. This includes unmoulding lubricants for instance, dyes and so on.

So from the same provider, you generally have within a polymer family some grades that are allowed for food contact and others that are not. Then the transformer, which makes a pot from the granules, must work adequately too.

Hi , what is and why is there unpleasant smell from the container made of PP ? is it toxic?

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 05:09:12 PM »
I can't guess. PP itself has zero odour. It may come from something used during production, or possibly from the lid, especially if this lid is soft.

Sponsored Links