April 29, 2024, 02:46:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: cyclobutyl bromide (Bromocyclobutane)  (Read 7330 times)

nilgnay2

cyclobutyl bromide (Bromocyclobutane)
« on: July 24, 2006, 03:23:45 AM »
Hello everyone:
   I want you can give me a help for the synthesis of cyclobutyl bromide.
The below is needed:
   The first reagent must be cyclopropylcarbinol.
Could you suggest me a road to synthesize this compound? I'll appreciate for your help.Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 03:46:39 AM by nilgnay2 »

Offline GSR

• Mole Snacks: +9/-1
  • Have Courage and Follow Your Own Path!
Re: cyclobutyl bromide (Bromocyclobutane)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 09:42:26 AM »
hi,

here is some procedure

hot alkaline KMno4/or  CrO3 in H2SO4     HgO, Br2,heat
cyclopropylcarbinol   ----------->  cyclobutanecarboxylic aid       ------------>        cyclobutyl bromide
                                                                                  ccl4, dark

you can get the procedure for the conversion of acid to halide from Organic Syntheses, Coll. Vol. 6, p.179 (1988); Vol. 51, p.106 (1971)
which is available free by searching from http://www.orgsyn.org/( MERCURY(II) OXIDE-MODIFIED HUNSDIECKER REACTION: 1-BROMO-3-CHLOROCYCLOBUTANE.

hope this will help you.

cheers

GSR

Offline HP

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +33/-5
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 12:34:29 PM »
Well, HgO is pretty nasty reagent to work up with and also  Hunsdiecker and Borodin many years before has done this reaction with Ag-salt carboxylic acid and Br2...
xpp

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 08:54:18 PM »
                          hot alkaline KMno4/or  CrO3 in H2SO4     HgO, Br2,heat
cyclopropylcarbinol   ----------->  cyclobutanecarboxylic aid       ------------>        cyclobutyl bromide
                                                                                  ccl4, dark

Are you sure that's correct?  Seems to me you added a carbon in the first step.

I think that you can convert cyclopropyl carbinol to cyclobutyl bromide by just treating the alcohol with PBr3 or POBr3.  First making the cyclopropylcarbinyl cation which can rearrange to cyclobutyl cation which could be trapped with Br-.

Offline wereworm73

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +21/-4
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 03:50:50 PM »
You don't need to bother with the permaganate.  Just heat the cyclopropylcarbinol in 2M HCl at 100oC and then treat the resulting cyclobutanol with PBr3 to convert it to a bromide. 

Movies' idea could be a nice shortcut, though.  You might want to test a little bit of cyclopropylcarbinol with PBr3 and see if you get a good yield of bromocyclobutane.   

nilgnay2

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 09:54:58 AM »
I think that you can convert cyclopropyl carbinol to cyclobutyl bromide by just treating the alcohol with PBr3 or POBr3.  First making the cyclopropylcarbinyl cation which can rearrange to cyclobutyl cation which could be trapped with Br-.
Oh,thank you for your advice, I think it is a good road to convert cyclopropylcarbinyl to cyclobutylbromide.
And, your mechanism is correct.
I'll have a try by the method that your adviced, and the method adviced by wereworm73
thank you !

Sponsored Links