March 28, 2024, 04:49:23 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What causes the Thermal Reaction?  (Read 2546 times)

alexfauth20

What causes the Thermal Reaction?
« on: November 24, 2018, 09:52:22 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm curious to how this product works. What causes it to produce heat?

Ingredients:

BUTYLENE GLYCOL, ZEOLITE, KAOLIN, PEG-8, MTHYL GLUCETH-20, CELLULOSE, TALC, LAURYL, METHACRYLATE/GLYCOL DIMETHACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER, CHARCOAL POWDER, DIMETHCONE, HYDROXYPROPYCELLULOSE, MENTHOL, DISODIUM EDTA, BHT

Thanks in advance!

Product Page - https://www.amazon.com/Bior%C3%A9-Charcoal-Self-Heating-Minute-Count/dp/B00G7U29KQ?th=1

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: What causes the Thermal Reaction?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 06:43:45 AM »
Welcome, alexfauth20!

"Heats on contact with water" as they state. Most compounds produce (like cement) or absorb (glycerol) heat when dissolving in water. That mask contains alcohols, and maybe the kaolin is dehydrated, so there are several candidates.

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 09:09:37 AM »
Hi Enthalpy,

Presumably it doesn't produce heat until used on the face...  so maybe it reacts with the moisture in the skin or something like that? Or would you need to wet the face first or splash the mask once set or something like that?

A fitting topic for you to reply to anyway given your username! :-)
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 05:27:25 AM »
I don't know how this mask is used: wetting the face before or not. Anyway, the skin contains water and can provide it to some compound.

Some plasters used on dislocations contain alumina, they get warmer upon skin contact. So the kaolin is a possible cause of warming, depending on its state.

Sponsored Links