April 16, 2024, 04:54:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: SiMoN  (Read 2347 times)

Offline Baggywhacker

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
SiMoN
« on: December 13, 2018, 05:09:02 AM »
So my name's Simon. In the shower yesterday, studying my Periodic Table shower curtain, I wondered: is there a compound out there that can spell my name? The easiest option seems to be combining silicon, molybdenum and nitrogen. My limited research found no mention of "silicon molybdenum nitride", although silicon nitride seems pretty commonplace.

So I wonder, is it possible to create SinMonNn? If so, what would its properties be? If not, why not?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +528/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: SiMoN
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 11:05:48 AM »
In the shower yesterday,
Always a great way to start a post.

A very quick search didn't turn up anything. What you'd probably be looking for is a molybdenum nitride doped with silicon, or some such. The closest I could find that might be plausible using Si, Mo, and N is a phosphorous-doped molybdenum silicide.

http://jes.ecsdl.org/content/128/11/2402.short

If you can dope it with phosphorous, it might be possible to dope with nitrogen, and if it's possible, it may have been done. But (1) you can't just dope anything with anything, because atomic sizes are important, and (2) it probably wouldn't be called "SiMoN".

Sorry. Change your name?
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Baggywhacker

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 06:27:02 AM »
Sorry. Change your name?

;D

Many thanks for your thoughts! To be honest, I'm sure an official name would be something very boring, but hey, I'd be able to call it whatever I wanted...

I've had doping suggested to me in passing, and to be frank, the actual manufacturing technique is something I'm happy to leave to the boys in the lab. (You may have figured this out already, but I'm not actually a professional chemist, and if I were, taking a lead from physics, I'd probably like to be a theoretical chemist, if such things exist - practicalities bore me!)

I suppose what my question really boils down to is just this: is there any obvious chemical reason why a molecule consisting of atoms of silicon, molybdenum and nitrogen - and nothing else - could not exist in a stable form?

Here's an easier question, since I'm equally confused by variable valencies: could you give me acceptable values of n so I can stop having to refer to SinMonNn?

Offline Flatbutterfly

• Mole Snacks: +7/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 05:39:46 PM »
Mo . N . Si
Molybdenum nitride silicide (MoNSi)

From CAS 36 refs

Sponsored Links