March 29, 2024, 07:57:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Lets talk Household Fabric Cleaners  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Raster

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Lets talk Household Fabric Cleaners
« on: February 24, 2019, 02:57:20 PM »
Hello! Seems I joined this forum when I was a young one, and now I'm back. I come with a product idea relating to fabric cleaners.

I'm looking for types of sprays that relate to cleaning organic matter from fabric. (Sweat, skin, dirt, etc) On which, a dry cloth could be used to absorb the contaminants. I've taken some time to research various carpet cleaners, upholster cleaners, and their msds to come up with some compounds used in this application. Some examples:

isopropanol/hydrogen peroxide
percarbonate salts
Various ether/polyether solvents
Various alcohol solvents
Dilute weak acids
Ester solvents
Ester polymers
Organosulfates
Enzyme/bacterial

Now I can go around all day looking for existing products, but since a lot of cleaners are protective over their actual formula, there is a lot of undocumented information. So I have a couple of questions in hopes to aid my research.

What is the field of study involved in researching cleaning products? Yeah, I know it's chemistry/biochem, but I'm curious if there is a specific name for this type of research.

What are some enzymes/bacteria used in some of those more biological based cleaners?

What are some other compounds commonly used as fabric cleaners?

Are there any research studies/patents relating to fabric cleaning products anyone knows about and would like to share?

I'm also open to any additional information, that might be useful in my endeavor.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
Re: Lets talk Household Fabric Cleaners
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 03:49:17 PM »
You are asking a very large question, larger than can reasonably be tackled on a discussion board unless I am missing something.  However, I seem to recall that one additive used in the past was the serine protease subtilisin (only protein gets out protein may have been the slogan).

Offline Raster

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Re: Lets talk Household Fabric Cleaners
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 05:49:42 PM »
You are asking a very large question, larger than can reasonably be tackled on a discussion board unless I am missing something.  However, I seem to recall that one additive used in the past was the serine protease subtilisin (only protein gets out protein may have been the slogan).

Yeah, this is a brain storming set of questions, than a very specific question. Mostly because I'm having issues building a foundation to start at, and on that I am searching for some starting points to help guide my research. Just the mentioned of the subtilisin enzyme is already a good starting point, and I thank you for that.

I think I will just go out there and say, my product idea is to have a rebranded product that is very specific to cleaning mouse pads. On that I can assume there would be sweat and dead skin mostly, and things like dirt/sand would be a lot less comparative to carpets. Now laundry detergent can accomplish this task, but requires some diligent rinsing and drying, this is where I'm looking into a spray on approach, then absorb with something like a sham-wow towel.

So I believe the focus would be first breaking down the components of what is to be expected in the fabric material, that would need to be removed. A lot of the minerals that come from perspiration would be water soluble, so that part wouldn't be difficult to remove. The bits that would require more focus, would be the skin and bacteria that naturally exists in the skin, or growing in the fabric presented from outside sources. I'd assume those compose of fatty acids, oils, proteins, maybe some complex phenyl polymers, and amino acids. Thinking along these lines I can see where the enzyme approach would be a more ideal scenario for some of the more difficult polymers to break down.

On this thought, I have a follow up question that is a bit more specific, what are the compounds I would expect that sheds from the human body like the typical sweaty gamer, and what are some enzymes that could break down some of the more complex compounds?

Some of the less complex compounds I can see them being taken care of with some basic chemicals and solvents.

PS I'm not educated in chemistry.

Sponsored Links