March 28, 2024, 06:34:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Standard addition method Photometric urea  (Read 1797 times)

Offline skunny

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Standard addition method Photometric urea
« on: December 01, 2018, 04:18:56 PM »
Hi

I wanted To do the Standard Addition Methode to determiniert Urea due to a complex matrix  of my sample. I am totale confused whether i am about to do this right because I do not have a lot of experience. So I was really hoping whether somebody could take a look at what I’m about to do and tell me whether it makes sense or not
Thank u !

First I would like to prepare that Urian standard solution : u would solve 100mg in 100 ml water , I mean fill it up in a volumetric flask.

For my sample I would need to separate my sample  from the fatty matrix so I would do an extraction with diethylether, And my urea would be in the aqueous phase.

I would prepare five volumetric flasks(100ml)

1. 1ml sample + 1 ml standard solution
2. 1ml sample + 2 ml standard solution
3. 1ml sample + 3 ml standard solution
4. 1ml sample + 4 ml standard solution
5. 1ml sample + 0 ml standard solution

And then fill it all up with water.

For the actual measurement I wanted to take 1ml of each solution I prepared (as I mentioned above) + the substance that gives it the color and then measure....

Does that make sense ? I cam completely unsure! Thank u so so much !

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Standard addition method Photometric urea
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 03:41:42 AM »
Logic looks OK.

At the moment it is impossible to say if it is all 100% correct, as there are still a lot of details that don't make the procedure foolproof - for the urea to stay in water you need low pH, standard solution needs to have concentration in a correct range for the method and so on. But I assume you omitted them intentionally.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline skunny

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 09:03:52 AM »
thank you so much, I will try it like that, hopefully everything turns out good =)

Offline skunny

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 01:29:03 PM »
I have another question to the calculation. I determine urea with this photometric methode and also by kjeldahl. (in analytical chemistry is a method for the quantitative determination of nitrogen contained in organic substances plus the nitrogen contained in the inorganic compounds ammonia and ammonium (NH3/NH4+)

Now I don't know how I can compare my results. Because when I evaluate the results from the kjeldahl method, my result is shown in percent. And with this photometric method I don't get it in percent but in mg/ml. I don't know how to compare my results or how to modify the equation of the photmetric method to get a result in percent =/ can anyone help?

I was thinking to just multiply by 100..but I'm not sure..Thank u!

Sponsored Links