April 26, 2024, 11:57:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ionic and covalent bonds  (Read 1366 times)

Offline wsx132

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ionic and covalent bonds
« on: December 03, 2018, 10:57:31 PM »
I have a lab that asks us to characterize and describe compounds and to identify whether it is an ionic or covalent bond. The lab consisted of 3 beakers with a mystery compound dissolved into it and we needed to find whether or not each mystery compound was ionic or covalent by seeing how bright a lightbulb reacted to the dissolved mystery compound’s charges. We were also provided  the melting and boiling point of the mystery compounds. Anyways, I figured out the first 2, but I am stuck on the last one, which had a dim light, which meant it conducted minimal electricity. It also had a melting point of 153 celsius and boiling point of 196 celsius. Any help as to what type of compound this is would be greatly appreciated. I’ve asked multiple people and they can’t seem to understand it either, because it has properties of both ionic and covalent compounds.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Ionic and covalent bonds
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 03:04:23 AM »
It is not like the classification "ionic" vs "covalent" is "either, either" - there is a continuity. Every bond has some ionic and some covalent character, some are mostly covalent, some are mostly ionic, some are mixed.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
Re: Ionic and covalent bonds
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 04:55:39 AM »
From the description, it sounds like a weak organic acid or base, that is ionised to a small extent in solution, so it will have some electrical conductivity, but not as much  as if it was fully ionised. The bonding in this case is predominantly covalent. (The pure compound would have a covalent O-H bond (if an acid) that is only ionised (to some extent) in solution.)

Sponsored Links