April 25, 2024, 11:39:45 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ideal proportions for copper plating solution  (Read 1777 times)

Offline mateoar

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ideal proportions for copper plating solution
« on: December 09, 2018, 01:31:27 PM »
Hello everyone,
I came across a copper plating solution that uses safer chemicals than the typical solution. The ingredients are:
  • Distilled water
  • Citric Acid
  • Copper sulfate
  • Polyethylene glycol
  • Salt
However, I don't know the correct proportions to use for these ingredients. I also came across a different recipe that supposedly works really well for the application I'm targeting and could maybe be used as a reference:
  • Distilled water - 41 liters
  • Copper sulfate - 30.5 liters
  • 35% Sulfuric acid - 29 liters
  • 35% HCl - 13.3 ml (cc)

Can somebody help me with the proportions for the first recipe? Any help is much appreciated.  :)

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Ideal proportions for copper plating solution
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 01:46:50 PM »
A normal copperbath contains 20 g/l Cu, 220 g/l sulfuric acid 50% w.w,  80 mg/l sodiumchloride and 10 g/l  PEG 10000, (Carrier, Leveller ), 0,1 mg/l 3 -Mercaptopropansulfonic acid (Brigthner)

In your case the sulfuric acid is exchanged to citric acid. It is  a complexagent and for the envirement not so good. 

Offline mateoar

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 01:51:25 PM »
A normal copperbath contains 20 g/l Cu, 220 g/l sulfuric acid 50% w.w,  80 mg/l sodiumchloride and 10 g/l  PEG 10000, (Carrier, Leveller ), 0,1 mg/l 3 -Mercaptopropansulfonic acid (Brigthner)

In your case the sulfuric acid is exchanged to citric acid. It is  a complexagent and for the envirement not so good.

Thanks for your answer. So does that mean I can simply exchange the sulfuric acid with the citric acid and use the same amounts?
 I can't use sulfuric acid because where i live is not legal for me to have it.

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 02:11:30 PM »
Thereotically yes you can exchange it. The problem later is the waste water treatment and also unknown behaviour at the anodes.

Sponsored Links