I am a soapmaker. As you all know, in order to make soap, one has to combine dissolved lye (NaOH) with fats and/or oils.
My concern is that the various oils like castor oil, palm oil, coconut oil, olive oil, bacon grease, avocado oil may have preservatives, conditioners, coloring, and other additives like the ones listed below. If lye gets in contact with food additives such as these, is anything dangerous or toxic produced ? Do I need to be concerned ?
1. sodium phosphates (a lard/bacon additive)
2. sodium ascorbate (a lard/bacon additive)
3. sodium nitrite (a lard/bacon additive)
4. sodium erythorbate (a lard/bacon additive)
5. corn syrup (a lard/bacon additive)
6. hexane (used to make pomace olive oil)
Thanks for your time.