Chemistry Forums for Students > Inorganic Chemistry Forum

Electrolysis of NaHCO3

<< < (5/5)

hanzdolo:

--- Quote from: Shannon Dove on February 08, 2019, 01:39:51 PM ---I don't know how to quote text, but hanzdolo, I am very interested in your work. Tell me your opinion about this idea,... In a divided compartment cell, I used salt water in both compartments, then added some bone Ash to the anode compartment, as it got acid enough, the bone edge finally dissolved, I was hoping topull the calcium and sodium ions out of the anode compartment to make hydrochloric and phosphoric acid. What is your thoughts on this idea?

--- End quote ---

Due to some recent experiments I'm able answer this more intelligently. I just figured something out and decided to share the info with you.

1. Start the cell with NaCl at the cathode and bone ash (CaPO4) at the anode.
2. Apply current to a PbO2 anode/copper foil cathode of 3.5A, Potential of at least 6V
3. HClO4 will evolve at the anode and react with the bone ash to give H2PO4 and CaClO4 respectively
4. Distill any remaining HClO4 via fractionation.
5. Boil down H2PO4 until it has reached its azeotrope and filter CaClO4

That's a process that I just came up with. It should work flawlessly and the oxidation of the Cl to ClO4 is extremely fast by comparison to other acid electrosynths. I like copper because the blue ion serves as an indicator if you have any acidic backflow in your cell as the cathode should not oxidize in this process.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version