March 29, 2024, 02:14:15 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to Test the Possibility of a Compound  (Read 1800 times)

R3negade

How to Test the Possibility of a Compound
« on: January 21, 2019, 05:10:41 AM »
Hey folks!
I am currently a freshman in uni and I find chemistry to be rather interesting. While I am not that knowledgeable because I am in beginning university level classes, I still have a question...

The other day I was messing with the ball and stick models making compounds and I ended up with 10 Hydrogen atoms, 3 Carbon atoms, 2 Nitrogen atoms, 2 Sulfur atoms, and 1 Oxygen atom. Wherever the image is posted is my quick sketch of the compound before I had to deconstruct it. Sorry it sucks...

So what I am looking for is a method to verify that this is indeed a possible compound that could theoretically exist. I understand that this is most likely knowledge way above which I have been taught since I believe this to be in the realm of organic chemistry but I figured where better to find an answer than a chemistry forum. Thanks!

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
Re: How to Test the Possibility of a Compound
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 05:58:29 AM »
You seem to treat S and N as if they were tetravalent, like C. Is this correct?

Offline OrganicDan96

• Mole Snacks: +20/-1
Re: How to Test the Possibility of a Compound
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 04:43:29 PM »
it won't exist as a neutral compound as you have two many bonds to nitrogen and sulphur. of course you can have nitrogen with 4 bonds but it takes a positive charge and you would have some negative counter ion to balance the charge.

Sponsored Links