April 16, 2024, 09:29:35 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Effect of Temperature on Gibbs Function of Galvanic cell  (Read 960 times)

Offline urbestpal

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Effect of Temperature on Gibbs Function of Galvanic cell
« on: February 19, 2019, 10:45:31 PM »
In my experiment, I basically looked at the effect of temperature of a voltaic cell and its effect on the Gibbs free energy (function) of the cell

I had a zinc sulfate and copper sulfate half cell, placed in a water-bath, and the Ecell values were measured through a multimeter

Now the concentration of zinc sulfate was 0.01M while the concentration of copper sulfate was 1 M, and obviously I have to justify this difference in concentration

Truth is, when I connected the cells at 1M each, the voltage it displayed was too far off the 1.10V its supposed to be at
(basically zero)

And I was confused why this could be happening. Then I did some trial and error and found that decreasing the concentration of zinc actually helps the value become closer to the real +1.10V for a zinc and copper galvanic cell

But now I have to explain why I did this. I cannot simply state that I have done trials and error and simply determined which concentration works. Is there ANY possible explanation for it.

Thanks for the help.  :)

Sponsored Links