Specialty Chemistry Forums > Citizen Chemist

stainless steel thickness for repairing exhaust hole

(1/3) > >>

xchcui:
Hi.

I was suggested to use a stainless steel sheet(followed by
an high temp. exaust repair cement)to repair an hole in the exhaust pipe).
The stainless steel will experience gases tempertature of about 400°C-800°C.The stainless steel 304 has a melt point of 1400°C-1450°C,but i am pretty sure that the thickness in that task is important.
What should be the minimum thickness of the stainless steel(304)sheet that will be suitable for that task?

Thanks.

Enthalpy:
Hi,

the melting point doesn't determine the operation temperature of an alloy, it's only a very far limit.

For continuous operation, 800°C would be far too much for the Aisi304. Even nickel-based superalloys stop around 750°C in non-structural applications (understand: the carter, not the turbine).

Though, exhaust pipes (you mean, at a car?) are usually built of dumb steel, and they do survive for some time, so the Aisi 304 should do it much better. Aisi 316 would be even better. Just take the same thickness as had the dumb steel that was punched through. Or take what you find.

One possible worry is that the cement may not adhere on stainless steel. To be tried.

xchcui:
Thanks for your answer.
Yes,i meant to a car exhaust.
The thickness of the car exhaust is about 1.5mm,but while i checked the thickness of several stainless steel sheets,i found out that it is hard to work/make a bond with a stainless steel that is more than 0.1-0.2 mm for this task,since it is too strong and springy.
Will 0.1-0.2mm thickness be enough to do the job?
BTW,why did you say that it is possible that the cement may not adhere to the stainless steel?The exhaust cement,as far as i know,is designed to adhere to stainless steel/steel exhaust,isn't it?

P:

--- Quote from: xchcui on February 05, 2019, 08:47:34 AM ---The exhaust cement,as far as i know,is designed to adhere to stainless steel/steel exhaust,isn't it?

--- End quote ---

As far I know these silicate exhaust cements are a temporary fix. They will blow again after a week or so iirc. They will tide you over until you replace the section of exhaust that has blown though.   I guess you could weld it...  but I assume that would be more hassle than just getting it replaced these days surely?

Enthalpy:

--- Quote from: xchcui on February 05, 2019, 08:47:34 AM ---Will 0.1-0.2mm thickness be enough to do the job?
BTW,why did you say that it is possible that the cement may not adhere to the stainless steel?The exhaust cement,as far as i know,is designed to adhere to stainless steel/steel exhaust,isn't it?
--- End quote ---

0.2mm possibly Try it and observe. Predictions are about impossible.

Adhere: stainless is radically different from carbon steel in that aspect. For instance concrete, zinc, paint don't adhere on stainless steel. If the cement is explicitly meant for stainless steel, nice. If not, experiment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version