March 29, 2024, 03:39:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hey, I have a question about synthesizing a certain chemical.  (Read 1606 times)

Offline painterinmymind

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hey, I have a question about synthesizing a certain chemical.
« on: February 13, 2019, 04:05:20 PM »
The chemical in question is 4'-Pentyl-4-biphenylcarbonitrile:

If a CO2 were to be added between the two phenyl rings, what would the resultant chemical be called? Would this even be possible?

My aim is to suggest a synthetic route for both chemicals so I would assume reacting benzylnitrile with pentylbenzene could be a potential route, right? I'm not sure if benzylnitrile is a commercially available product however.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Hey, I have a question about synthesizing a certain chemical.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 04:21:56 PM »
Do you mean something like CCCCCc2ccc(C(=O)Oc1ccc(C#N)cc1)cc2 or maybe with the ester the other way around.

Reaction of an appropriately substituted benzonitrile (benzyl nitrile would have an extra CH2 between the ring and the nitrile) with an appropriate pentylbenzene would give your initial compound - maybe with 4-cyanobenzeneboronic acid and 1-bromo-4-pentylbenzene in a Suzuki?

As to the ester - look into classical ways of generating these

Offline painterinmymind

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 05:05:55 PM »
Do you mean something like CCCCCc2ccc(C(=O)Oc1ccc(C#N)cc1)cc2 or maybe with the ester the other way around.

Reaction of an appropriately substituted benzonitrile (benzyl nitrile would have an extra CH2 between the ring and the nitrile) with an appropriate pentylbenzene would give your initial compound - maybe with 4-cyanobenzeneboronic acid and 1-bromo-4-pentylbenzene in a Suzuki?

As to the ester - look into classical ways of generating these

Yes precisely that! I assume similar initial compounds which are able to undergo esterfication would be used? Perhaps if there was a carboxyl group on the benzonitrile and an alcohol group on the pentylbenzene for example (I'll probably have to look into suitable reactants).

Thank you for the help though. Really helpful and much appreciated.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 08:18:12 PM »
Yes, esterification between cyano phenol and pentylbenzoic acid would work fine.

careerorbits

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 04:29:46 AM »
I think this will work but i haven't tried in lab. I had just studied about that in many online platform. 

Sponsored Links