March 29, 2024, 05:34:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Lithium forms covalent Halides. Why?  (Read 17039 times)

Offline xstrae

• Mole Snacks: +5/-5
  • Life rocks!
Re: Lithium forms covalent Halides. Why?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 11:07:30 AM »
since n ? 4 as smallest d subshell is 3d, note that the noble gas configuration is usually larger (in the terms i defined above) than the electronic configuration that u specified, in terms of quantum number and subshell (4s2 4p6 vs 3d4 4s0 for example).

i think 'n' was not meant to take the same value in both the electronic configurations. The atomic radius of Na+1ion is 0.95 A and that of Cu+1 is also the same. I think what was meant is the book is, for two ions of the same size and charge, one with a pseudo noble gas configuration will be more polarising than the cation with a noble gas configuration. So I suppose, CuCl is more covalent than NaCl.

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
Re: Lithium forms covalent Halides. Why?
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 11:11:55 AM »
i think 'n' was not meant to take the same value in both the electronic configurations. The atomic radius of Na+1ion is 0.95 A and that of Cu+1 is also the same. I think what was meant is the book is, for two ions of the same size and charge, one with a pseudo noble gas configuration will be more polarising than the cation with a noble gas configuration. So I suppose, CuCl is more covalent than NaCl.

makes sense.
one learns best by teaching

Sponsored Links