April 25, 2024, 06:00:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Solutions?  (Read 6820 times)

Offline Shea

• Mole Snacks: +3/-11
Solutions?
« on: August 02, 2006, 09:25:00 PM »
How many moles of Ca(NO3)2 must be added to enough water to make 100mL of 2M Ca(NO3)2 solution?

How many grams of AgNO3 must be added to sufficient water to make a 200m L of 0.5M AgNO3 solution?

In these, do I just divide the 2M and the .5M by their respective amounts, and then convert those to their desired units?

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-2
Re: Solutions?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 09:31:44 PM »
How many moles of Ca(NO3)2 must be added to enough water to make 100mL of 2M Ca(NO3)2 solution?

How many grams of AgNO3 must be added to sufficient water to make a 200m L of 0.5M AgNO3 solution?

In these, do I just divide the 2M and the .5M by their respective amounts, and then convert those to their desired units?

No. You convert the ml to dm3 first and then multiply by the concentration. For the second one you will need to multiply the moles by the Mr to get the grams of AgNO3. Hope that helps.

Offline Shea

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 09:49:47 PM »
It helped, but first you gotta tell me what dm3, and Mr is...

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 09:54:41 PM »
dm3 is decimetres cubed, which is the same thing as litres. To convert cm3(ml) into dm3(l) you just divide the value by 1000.

Mr is relative molecular mass.

Offline Shea

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 10:15:44 PM »
Ok, I think I see what you're getting at...

BTW, do you know what the major salts are in sea water? Or what the chemical name is for Antifreeze?

And what is water hardness?

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 10:24:33 PM »
Ok, I think I see what you're getting at...

BTW, do you know what the major salts are in sea water? Or what the chemical name is for Antifreeze?

And what is water hardness?

Sea water (See bottom right for list of ions)
Antifreeze
Water hardness

Sorry for appearing lazy; it is just that the answers could have easily been found using google.

Offline Shea

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 10:36:07 PM »
Thanks.  Now, do you know what the common salts are in tap water?  Googling it didn't turn up much.

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 10:53:41 PM »
Thanks.  Now, do you know what the common salts are in tap water?  Googling it didn't turn up much.

I would imagine all the same ions as sea water will be there like sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, chloride and sulfate. But I would also expect higher concentrations of fluoride and much lower concentrations of ions like sodium and chloride. I wouldn't know what the 'common' ones are. There are also many other ions like other metal ions, carbonates etc. that are present in tap water. I am jet-lagged so I don't have time to go through google thoroughly.

Sponsored Links