March 28, 2024, 07:01:11 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Do I need to write decimal values when calculating with elements?  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Al90

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
When doing homework or taking important tests that require addition, division, etc., do I need to write the exact relat. at. mass number from periodic table or can I just write the whole number. For example do I need to write Fe as 55,85 or can I just write 56. Or for example do I need to write C as 12,01 or can I just write 12.

It is very messy and unconvenient to me to divide with decimals included, for example if I divide 16 by 44,01 it takes much longer to finish division and I multiply it by 100 to get a cleaner number 1600:4401 which is a mess to calculate.

If a test doesnt require you to write the answers/solutions manually, but instead you have to choose between a) b) c) d), then I guess using whole number for relative atomic mass is fine. But what about tests where you dont choose between a) b) c) or d), but where you must write answers manually.

Also I need to know if the solution was calculated using only whole-numbered relative atomic masses (ignoring decimals or rounding them), will it be accepted as a correct answer on a test?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 11:45:34 AM by Al90 »

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Do I need to write decimal values when calculating with elements?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 11:46:35 AM »
Are you not allowed to use a calculator?  For rough calculation randomed numbers are ok. But in some circumstances you have to use more accurate numbers.

Offline Al90

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 11:49:56 AM »
I dont think so.

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 11:52:05 AM »
Strange behaviour. Is it a chem-class or the kindergarten first math exercises?

Offline Al90

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 12:12:03 PM »
Relying on calculator too much is bad.

Sponsored Links