March 29, 2024, 08:16:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Understanding rot-vibrational and electronic spectra  (Read 2079 times)

Offline paulhao

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Understanding rot-vibrational and electronic spectra
« on: March 02, 2019, 06:05:11 PM »
I have a hard time understanding the difference between rotational spectrum, vibrational spectrum, rot-vibrational spectrum and electronic spectrum. I have read some books and explanation but still feel so confused about the basic difference among those spectra.

Can anyone explain this to me please, Thanks

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Understanding rot-vibrational and electronic spectra
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 03:29:25 AM »
If you have read about them can you define each?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 12:02:55 PM »
We will need you to be more specific about where you're having trouble. As stated, the question is really too broad.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline paulhao

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 04:20:09 PM »
We will need you to be more specific about where you're having trouble. As stated, the question is really too broad.

If you have read about them can you define each?

Well, as I understand,

Rotational spectra occur by rotation of molecule in microwaves region

Vibrational spectra occur by vibration of molecule around its principal axis in infrared waves.

Electronic spectra happen when an electron jumps from one electronic level to another in ultraviolet radiations

Is my understanding right or is it missing some fundamental concepts?

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 08:37:45 AM »
That's basically right (except that molecules don't vibrate "around the principal axis"). It is complicated by the fact that vibrational transitions may be accompanied by a change in the rotational state, and electronic transitions may be accompanied by a change in both the vibrational and rotational states ("rovibronic" transitions).
The appearance and interpretation of each kind of spectrum is different, as the energy level structure and selection rules differ for each kind. Thus, for example, I have done a lot of vibrational spectroscopy, much less electronic, and very little rotational; so I would be much more comfortable interpreting a vibrational spectrum than the other kinds.

You still haven't told us what it is you don't understand. Have you got any specific questions?

Sponsored Links