March 28, 2024, 05:12:45 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: finding the initial mass of acetic acid on charcoal (Adsorption of HAc on charco  (Read 1720 times)

Offline AussieKenDoll

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How do I find the initial and equilibrium mass of acetic acid ion the adsorption of acetic acid on the charcoal experiment of physical chemistry?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Depends on the experimental setup. Question as asked doesn't have an answer.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline AussieKenDoll

This is the experiment procedure
Cleaned and dried 7 stoppered bottles and placed 1 g of charcoal (weighted accurately as possible) in each stoppered bottle.
Then, into 6 bottles, transferred 50.0, 40.0, 30.0, 20.0, 10.0 and 5 cm3 respectively using a 25 cm3 graduated pipette and added approximately 0.5 mol dm-3 acetic acid and made up the total volume in each to 50.0 cm3 with distilled water.
Added 50 cm3 of distilled water to the seventh stoppered bottle.
Thoroughly shaken the all 7 stoppered bottles and left it to adsorb for 30 minutes by periodically shaking all stoppered bottles.
Meanwhile standardize the given acetic acid solution using 0.10 mol dm-3 NaOH.
Filtered each solution into 7 beakers through a small filter papers rejecting the first 10 cm3 because the adsorption may have occurred on the filter paper.
Titrated two portions of 10 cm3 of each filtrate and two portions from the seventh bottle with standard 0.10 mol dm-3 NaOH solution.

how do I calculate the initial mass and the equilibrium mass of acetic acid?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
transferred 50.0, 40.0, 30.0, 20.0, 10.0 and 5 cm3 respectively using a 25 cm3 graduated pipette and added approximately 0.5 mol dm-3 acetic acid

Meanwhile standardize the given acetic acid solution using 0.10 mol dm-3 NaOH.

You know the volume used, you know the concentration, calculating initial amount of acid is just a direct application of the concentration definition.

Same thing at equilibrium - you determine the concentration of the acid in the filtrate by titration, you know the volume of the filtrate.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline AussieKenDoll

But according to this pdf i attached, there is a different way of finding the initial and equilibrium concentration of acetic acid before and after the adsorption respectively?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
No, it uses exactly the same approach. I am afraid it can mean you don't understand basic principles of how the concentration, volume and amount of substance are related.

Sponsored Links